Dark Matters Lyra Update Takahashi Epsilon-160ED · Bill Long - Dark Matters Astrophotography · ... · 54 · 2440 · 5

aabosarah 6.96
· 
If anyone can share pictures of it separately and on their imaging train it would be great. Seems intriguing.
Edited ...
jpridder86 2.41
· 
·  2 likes
Ashraf AbuSara:
If anyone can share pictures of it separately and on their imaging train it would be great. Seems intriguing.

See my post from 6/24/23 here: https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/equipment-forums/takahashi-epsilon-160ed/setting-up-the-e160-ed-for-full-frame-imaging/?page=40
aabosarah 6.96
· 
·  1 like
Jeff Ridder:
Ashraf AbuSara:

See my post from 6/24/23 here: https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/equipment-forums/takahashi-epsilon-160ed/setting-up-the-e160-ed-for-full-frame-imaging/?page=40

Very cool thanks for sharing!
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
Ok Bill, I do want to make this work. Perhaps I can just replace the helical focuser if that is the issue. I think I need to wait for your images on the website to see how this all goes together before I make plans. To be fair, snap shots will probably do if you have some (especially agains the ZWO OAG).

Sure thing. The images should be up by next week. I have finished units on hand I can take a shot of for now. I can get to that this evening.
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
·  2 likes
Here is a photo of the Lyra device before it gets tapped for the thumbscrews. On the left is the base that bolts to the wheel, on the right is our dovetail with a pre-installed M54 male gender changer ring. The native thtread is female M54 and is buttery smooth -- very much like machined, as we custom tuned the thread parameters meticulously and ensured that both Takahashi made adapters and Blue Fireball adapters worked flawlessly with either the female or male connection. Since M54 is not a standard metric thread, this was a ton of work, but worth it for a good product.
20230924_094146.jpg

Here is a finished Lyra Cap Set that is ready to ship to its new home with Jeff. This is made in PETG and is intended to cover the Lyra dovetail and cap the camera when they are disconnected.

20230924_094223.jpg

20230924_094259.jpg
Arrowspace90 0.90
· 
In the "stupid question" area for sure...

I just got around to looking at my Lyra rotator.  I found that it screws right into the M54 threads on the front of my ZWO filter wheel.  Good!
But the connection to the camera side is not apparent to me.  I have M54 to M42 adaptor that I was using previously on the EFW.  It doesn't fit on the side of the rotator facing the camera.  
What size are those threads?  My calipers put them at about 50mm?  Obviously I need some other adaptor that I don't currently have.  Did I order the wrong rotator or is there a different reason for the different threads on the side that will connect down to my ZWO M42 threads?
Eteocles 2.71
· 
·  1 like
Paul Wilson:

I just got around to looking at my Lyra rotator.  I found that it screws right into the M54 threads on the front of my ZWO filter wheel.  Good!
But the connection to the camera side is not apparent to me.  I have M54 to M42 adaptor that I was using previously on the EFW.  It doesn't fit on the side of the rotator facing the camera.  
What size are those threads?  My calipers put them at about 50mm?  Obviously I need some other adaptor that I don't currently have.  Did I order the wrong rotator or is there a different reason for the different threads on the side that will connect down to my ZWO M42 threads?

Paul, the Lyra connects to the EFW through the six screw holes on the 10.5mm base. This is just attached to the Lyra dovetail. Nothing is screwed in on the camera end.
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
Paul Wilson:

Paul, the Lyra connects to the EFW through the six screw holes on the 10.5mm base. This is just attached to the Lyra dovetail. Nothing is screwed in on the camera end.

This is correct!
Arrowspace90 0.90
· 
Bill Long - Dark Matters Astrophotography:
Paul Wilson:

This is correct!

*** Ok, thank you, I'm sure this information is provided in a thread here, but I honestly didn't know how it is to be attached.  So looking at my ZWO EFW, I see 4 little screw holes around the filter window, the front of EFW gets removed and those 4 screw holes are used to attach to the Lyra?  And then the M54 threads are available facing the camera?  I don't quite understand what the "dovetail" does, I am only familiar with "dovetails" on the top and bottom of my scope tube.  The rotator looks very nice and it will be great to have it once I get it all attached, a very nice accessory!***
Eteocles 2.71
· 
Paul Wilson:
Paul Wilson:

This is correct!

*** Ok, thank you, I'm sure this information is provided in a thread here, but I honestly didn't know how it is to be attached.  So looking at my ZWO EFW, I see 4 little screw holes around the filter window, the front of EFW gets removed and those 4 screw holes are used to attach to the Lyra?  And then the M54 threads are available facing the camera?  I don't quite understand what the "dovetail" does, I am only familiar with "dovetails" on the top and bottom of my scope tube.  The rotator looks very nice and it will be great to have it once I get it all attached, a very nice accessory!***

Yes, there are 4 holes on the EFW.  The 6 holes on the Lyra should line up with the 4 holes on the EFW.  The "dovetail" is the piece that threads into the corrector through the M54 gender changer.
Arrowspace90 0.90
· 
Paul Wilson:
Paul Wilson:

This is correct!

Yes, there are 4 holes on the EFW.  The 6 holes on the Lyra should line up with the 4 holes on the EFW.  The "dovetail" is the piece that threads into the corrector through the M54 gender changer.

*** Yes, I have the gender changer.  It is currently locked up to the extender that I have been using absent the Lyra.  So far, none of my efforts to break them apart using my lens tools have worked.  They are really stuck, so frustrating.  Getting the right grip/leverage on the skinny extenders is nearly impossible.
Eteocles 2.71
· 
·  1 like
@Paul Wilson To be clear, I'm referring to the gender changer that comes with the Lyra.  Not sure if you're referring to a Blue Fireball gender changer or something like that.  Those do tend to get stuck.  But I've never had Lyra get stuck in my tak corrector threads.  

It might help if you post a few pictures of the setup you're trying to get working.
Arrowspace90 0.90
· 
Ok, well I am trying to get to 56MM of back focus on the Tak.

The EFW is 20MM.  The camera is 17.5mm.  The lyra looks to be 12mm (correct?)   That leaves me needing 6.5mm to go from the male M54 threads on the lyra to the M42 female threads on the actual ASI2600 cameras.

What is the best way to achieve this.  Without the lyra, I was using the Fireball extenders and with a shim I was able to hit 56mm pretty well as the images looked good.
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
Paul Wilson:
Ok, well I am trying to get to 56MM of back focus on the Tak.

The EFW is 20MM.  The camera is 17.5mm.  The lyra looks to be 12mm (correct?)   That leaves me needing 6.5mm to go from the male M54 threads on the lyra to the M42 female threads on the actual ASI2600 cameras.

What is the best way to achieve this.  Without the lyra, I was using the Fireball extenders and with a shim I was able to hit 56mm pretty well as the images looked good.

It is 12mm. The base is 10.5 and the dovetail is 1.5. We offer custom dovetails in any size you need, so an 8mm dovetail can be made to close the gap without any other adapters.

Bill
Arrowspace90 0.90
· 
Well that would be great.  I am eager to get the rotator going.   I will order the "dovetail" in that case.  Consider it an order.  What do I need to fill out?
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
Paul Wilson:
Well that would be great.  I am eager to get the rotator going.   I will order the "dovetail" in that case.  Consider it an order.  What do I need to fill out?

You can order it here: Dark Matters Custom Lyra Dovetail | Dark Matters Astrophotography

Just put in the notes what size you want the dovetail to be.
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
Just a heads up that I have 10 Lyra units QC'd and ready to ship immediately for those interested. Custom dovetails still take custom work, but can be added to any order as well.

I also have some cover cap kits for the Lyra ready to go and have a run of them planned for the next few days.

Dark Matters Lyra Base Unit | Dark Matters Astrophotography

Dark Matters Lyra Cap Kit | Dark Matters Astrophotography
Arrowspace90 0.90
· 
I am weak at absorbing details and I didn't read the original posts that talk about the particular specs of the lyra.  I have a Tak E-160 and this rotator is for that and I was excited to try it out.  Still am, I think it's a great accessory!

My problem is, I have a ZWO ASI2600 pair of cameras.  These cameras are M42 female threads that go behind my EFW with of course the same back focus distance of 56mm.  
The Lyra only has M54 sizing available.  So I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment.
I found one online adaptor that goes from M54 female to M42 male.  The trouble is, it is 7mm and with my EFW at 20mm and my camera at 17.5mm, and the Lyra at 12mm, I only need 6.5mm (I think).   
Is anyone else getting the Lyra to use with a M42 ZWO camera?  If so, what adaptor are you using?   
If I am unable to find an available adaptor, that just leaves the option of Precise Parts.  Since they are making 1 piece, they are HUGELY expensive.  I may have to just put aside the rotator for now until I can figure out a strategy.
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
·  1 like
The Lyra thread should connect to the corrector and the base screws into the wheel directly. These two parts mate and lock in place with the thumbscrews. Your camera connects to the opposite side of the wheel. Your camera should also screw directly to the wheel. I believe you need to remove the black plate on the camera to bolt it to the wheel. I think the carousel needs to be removed in this process as well.
Edited ...
Arrowspace90 0.90
· 
Ok, I was WAY off.  The Lyra threads right into the corrector?  I was totally thinking I would be rotating from beyond the filter wheel.  So the EFW rotates also?  I just hadn't seen photos of the process, sorry.
Eteocles 2.71
· 
·  1 like
Paul Wilson:
I am weak at absorbing details and I didn't read the original posts that talk about the particular specs of the lyra.  I have a Tak E-160 and this rotator is for that and I was excited to try it out.  Still am, I think it's a great accessory!

My problem is, I have a ZWO ASI2600 pair of cameras.  These cameras are M42 female threads that go behind my EFW with of course the same back focus distance of 56mm.  
The Lyra only has M54 sizing available.  So I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment.
I found one online adaptor that goes from M54 female to M42 male.  The trouble is, it is 7mm and with my EFW at 20mm and my camera at 17.5mm, and the Lyra at 12mm, I only need 6.5mm (I think).   
Is anyone else getting the Lyra to use with a M42 ZWO camera?  If so, what adaptor are you using?   
If I am unable to find an available adaptor, that just leaves the option of Precise Parts.  Since they are making 1 piece, they are HUGELY expensive.  I may have to just put aside the rotator for now until I can figure out a strategy.

You shouldn’t be using M42 on an Epsilon, especially with an APS-C. As Bill said you should discard the tilt plate on the 2600 and bolt the EFW directly into the camera. This puts you at 43mm with the Lyra base so you’d need another 13.2mm+1/3*filter thickness to be in focus.
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
·  1 like
Paul Wilson:
Ok, I was WAY off.  The Lyra threads right into the corrector?  I was totally thinking I would be rotating from beyond the filter wheel.  So the EFW rotates also?  I just hadn't seen photos of the process, sorry.

Correct. The wheel and camera (and OAG if one is in use) rotates as one unit.
Arrowspace90 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Paul Wilson:

Correct. The wheel and camera (and OAG if one is in use) rotates as one unit.

*** That's great news, in that case I might be ready for bizness.  Thanks for explanation. ***
Arrowspace90 0.90
· 
I am unable to locate screws that were delivered with the Lyra in order to secure it to the ZWO EFW.

Can anyone tell me what screws they are so I can get some at the local store?
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
Paul Wilson:
I am unable to locate screws that were delivered with the Lyra in order to secure it to the ZWO EFW.

Can anyone tell me what screws they are so I can get some at the local store?

We haven't supplied them to this point, since it's unclear which wheel people plan to use. This is likely to change with the next version of the base.

At any rate, for ZWO you want m2.5 and for QHY/Pegasus M3.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/screws/head-type~flat/drive-style~phillips/material~stainless-steel/finish~black-oxide?s=M3+Screws/

Register or login to create to post a reply.