Any current users? Vixen SXP2 · Piers Palmer · ... · 6 · 195 · 0

PiersPalmer 2.15
· 
I've recently acquired a used SXP2 mount which appears in excellent condition, works fine and gives me good tracking. However, when I compare it to my SXD2 mount, the RA axis is very stiff, which makes balancing the tube difficult. The dec axis is the complete opposite, which also makes balance tricky but in a different way. 

Also, neither axes lock down very well. Well enough, it seems, but I'm surprised they don't go tighter. It does make me worry about slippage, although it's not actually happened. 

Are these simply characteristics of this mount, or are there some user-adjustments I can make? I've not found any way to adjust anything so far. 

Thanks
andreatax 7.56
· 
Not using the SXP2 mount but have a newly acquired SXD2 mount, so my question to you is how you connect to it in use, if at all. Especially if using NINA.

Thanks!
PiersPalmer 2.15
· 
I should be able to help! I connect my SB10 to my ASIair using a crossover cable. Apparently this is important...not a normal ethernet. I've never had any problems doing it that way. You do need the SB10 to be part of the connection, although I think the new Wireless Starbook might allow you to connect wirelessly. I did order one from Bresser but DHL lost it and then there was no stock!
andreatax 7.56
· 
Piers Palmer:
I should be able to help! I connect my SB10 to my ASIair using a crossover cable. Apparently this is important...not a normal ethernet. I've never had any problems doing it that way. You do need the SB10 to be part of the connection, although I think the new Wireless Starbook might allow you to connect wirelessly. I did order one from Bresser but DHL lost it and then there was no stock!

Thanks Piers. I got the cable already and updated the SB to the latest version and so far so good. What I was wondering about is what sort of setting needs to be modified once connected via the ASCOM driver and the network TCP/IP access point but if you are using the ASIair then it is likely different.
PiersPalmer 2.15
· 
Ah yeah. The asiair is pretty much good to go once you’ve chosen the mount. The only thing I’ve had to play with is to do with the meridian flip. Even now it’s not 100% successful but it mostly fails when I’m not monitoring it and I think that’s just Sod’s Law.
jmenart 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Hi Piers,

I am happy user of SXP2 and I have the same observations as you are mentioning, so I assume this is 'normal' behaviour.

I also don't see any issues or slips during guiding and as mentioned, I am really happy with the mount.

I can't comment on the SB10 connection with ASCOM/NINA, I can only confirm that it works great with Indi driver.
Edited ...
PiersPalmer 2.15
· 
That’s reassuring to know; thanks. 

In terms of balancing then, how fastidious are you? The dec axis is ultra sensitive so I do the best job I can with that, and I’m wondering if the RA axis doesn’t really matter too much? It’s a bit of a best guess.

Register or login to create to post a reply.