Weird Amp Glow-like Artifacts ZWO ASI533MM · Johannes Möslein · ... · 9 · 387 · 3

Joo_Astro 1.91
· 
Hi,
I just noticed some artifacts in one of my images:
Artifacts.png
I just did a quick edit, to bring out the problem more. That's the stacked image of 20x300s subs, but it's in every sub.
It looks like Amp Glow to me, but I have the ASI533MM Pro, which should have none.
But what is it then? Dirt, smudge, whatever on some part of the imaging train? Light leak? 
I took another image after that, and it didn't have this problem, but those were just 60s subs, so maybe I have to try some longer darks, to see if it's coming from the camera itself.
justins.ap 1.20
· 
·  1 like
That is strange. I have the same camera and have never seen this.  I've taken 600-second darks with mine and have never seen this type of artifact so I doubt it is amp glow. Without looking at the subs and master dark, I guess there would be some light leak with your calibration files. Also, this shoot has had star removal run on it. But I'm guessing that's just to make the artifact more noticeable for us?Here are a couple of requests: 
  1. Could you post a single, uncalibrated sub with a boosted STF applied?
  2. Could you post the master dark as well with boosted STF?
  3. How did you calibrate and stack the data? Pixinsight? WBPP? or was it all manual? Or another program?
Edited ...
WhooptieDo 9.24
· 
Looks like diffraction from a nearby star.   Glancing at stellarium, I'd guess it's 62 Cyg
minhlead 2.11
· 
Check if you have a really bright star on that side of the FOV. probably a flare from a bright star
skybob727 6.08
· 
Looks like diffraction from a nearby star.   Glancing at stellarium, I'd guess it's 62 Cyg

Totally agree, I've seen this before too. Diffraction from 62 Cyg is bright enough and close enough to cause this. Darks won't help.
Edited ...
astronomical_horizon 0.90
· 
Johannes Möslein:
Hi,
I just noticed some artifacts in one of my images:
Artifacts.png
I just did a quick edit, to bring out the problem more. That's the stacked image of 20x300s subs, but it's in every sub.
It looks like Amp Glow to me, but I have the ASI533MM Pro, which should have none.
But what is it then? Dirt, smudge, whatever on some part of the imaging train? Light leak? 
I took another image after that, and it didn't have this problem, but those were just 60s subs, so maybe I have to try some longer darks, to see if it's coming from the camera itself.

Bright star is a good point. What filter did you use? Ha? Maybe a red led light of your mount or power supply. Had these strange artefacts too and it was only in red light, because the led was so bright next to my camera and offaxis guider
WhooptieDo 9.24
· 
·  1 like
Here is a screenshot from Stellarium with 62 Cyg and his image overlaid.   Should alleviate any doubt.

62cyg.jpg
AwesomeAstro 2.39
· 
+1 for bright star, you can see it happening similarly on the top of the frame, and the rays converge radially at a point outside of the bottom of the image.
ChuckNovice 4.21
· 
Exactly what I get too when there's a bright star not too far away. I tried to compensate the framing for it during galaxy season but now they're everywhere. Appears in my broadband images, not so much in narrowband.
Joo_Astro 1.91
· 
·  1 like
Thank you all for the answers. A bright star nearby was my first guess as well, but between work and looking at frames, I actually forgot to check that. 
As the problem is only visible in the lights (and only in this target), I take it as the solution. 

Thanks to you all.

Register or login to create to post a reply.