Lapland, 1881/1882 - Selim Lemstrom's artificial aurorae Anything goes · Danny Caes · ... · 5 · 349 · 0

1white2green.3blue+4yellow-5purple_ 0.90
· 
There is this book called Lightning, Auroras, Nocturnal Lights, and related luminous phenomena from William R. Corliss (The Sourcebook Project, 1982). In it, at pages 20-21, Selim Lemstrom's experiments to create artificial aurora are mentioned (1881/1882, on several mountaintops in Lapland, such as Mount Pietarintunturi). Those were the years 1881 and 1882. Is it known if, since then, many more experiments were performed to create artificial aurorae? If so... by who, where, and when?

See also Wikipedia: Selim Lemstrom.
Edited ...
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  2 likes
My roar is artificial!?
Edited ...
wimvb 1.91
· 
·  1 like
There have been recent experiments in eg Norway. Just google "artificial aurora". These experiments were on a relatively small scale. Natural aurorae are still the more spectacular kind.

cs,

Wim
· 
Suddenly I think about something else (although it's still aurora- or roar-related): are there astrophotographers specialized in STEREO / 3D-photographs and movies of the polar lights? Perhaps this is already old (or very old) news, but... thanks to today's hyperquick digital communication, two astrophotographers at locations of several hundreds of kilometers in between them, could create simultaneous movies of the same display. To see the three-dimensional effect, the spectators (in cinema) must wear stereo-goggles (polarization filters) to watch both movies, projected via an LCD projector (also with polarization filters) on a retroreflective white screen.
Zeb 0.00
· 
EISCAT near Tromsø does that!
· 
Thanks Zeb!
Suddenly... another thought... are astronauts aboard the I.S.S. experienced STEREO-photographers? Perhaps they could create 3-dimensional views of aurora displays seen from the cupola. Two photographs of the same region photographed with interval of, say, a couple of seconds.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.