Redcat 51 and ASI585MC ZWO ASI585MC · Nicolas · ... · 9 · 87 · 0

Nicocapa 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hello,

I am new in astrophotography and I would like to know if anyone has experience using the WO Redcat 51 with the ASI585MC, I found very nice pictures here but I saw that as the camera doesn't have a large sensor is not good for the redcat.

What would you think about it?

Thank you a lot.

Nicolas
Xeebok 4.77
· 
·  1 like
Hello,

I am new in astrophotography and I would like to know if anyone has experience using the WO Redcat 51 with the ASI585MC, I found very nice pictures here but I saw that as the camera doesn't have a large sensor is not good for the redcat.

What would you think about it?

Thank you a lot.

Nicolas

Hey Nicolas, 

The 585 is a great camera unfortunately it has a small sensor as you said and the RedCat 51 has a wide FOV.   What does that mean, it means that your field of view is going to be smaller, approximately 1/4 the size of a DSLR camera (APS-C). Lets say you want to take a picture like this for example https://www.astrobin.com/fqkjww/C/ to achieve the same you will have to take 4 panels to get the same picture.

Cs
Ahmed
Nicocapa 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hi Ahmed,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Would you say that the best option then for this telescope is a DSLR?
Do you see other issue rather than that?

Clear skies,
Nicolas
Xeebok 4.77
· 
·  1 like
If you look on astrobin explore equipment, check out images with a redcat and see the cameras that are paired with it.

Mirrorless are better than dslrs and astro dedicated are even better.

it depends on your budget and plan.

so i have a fra400 that I will be using with the 585 for now, my plan is to go for an asi2600mm soon, even though I own 2 dslrs. If I fall short on my budget I’d go for the 533.

but all of this is relative you have to know what you wanna do 

ahmed
Nicocapa 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I get it, thanks Ahmed!
Xeebok 4.77
· 
Anytime
ciskje 0.00
· 
With a small camera you can get perfect zoom, nor any problem with vignetting, and you don't need a field flattener, look at my images with 585 and Evostar 72ED
ciskje 0.00
· 
·  1 like
AND you can use 1.25" filter that are a lot cheaper!
Nicocapa 0.00
· 
With a small camera you can get perfect zoom, nor any problem with vignetting, and you don't need a field flattener, look at my images with 585 and Evostar 72ED

Nice images, indeed! Thanks for the tip! but at the end I bought the ASI183

Cheers,
Nicolas
ciskje 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Nicolas:

Nice images, indeed! Thanks for the tip! but at the end I bought the ASI183

Cheers,
Nicolas

It's really similar, small sensor (13x9 vs 12x6), small pixel (near 3um), same pro!
The 2 major differences with these cameras are, cooling, and APS-C dimension (24x16)

Register or login to create to post a reply.