Bortle 7/8/9 images Broadband and Narrowband Broadband under Bortle 7/8/9 · Carastro · ... · 10 · 231 · 1

carastro 8.04
What do you think of posting up our images in this thread which we have done from Bortle 7/8/9

I have quite a lot but this one I re-processed a couple of days ago as I was never happy with the original processing.
Melotte 15 taken in Bortle 8 (my home location) with a SW130PDS and Atik460EX on NEQ6 - just over 3 hours of data.

Edited ...
orangemaze 0.00
Is this broadband or narrowband?
BenKolt 1.43
That's very well done!  You did a good job of showing the details of Melotte 15, and the SHO colors are very nice.

NB imaging is a great refuge for those of us who image most of the time under higher light pollution.  However, I have found that there is quite a bit that can be done with broadband as well so long as one allows for sufficient integration time and takes careful steps with gradient removal.  Nothing beats dark skies, of course, but getting to those sites is near impossible for many of us!  And so I've been spending my time honing acquisition and processing skills specifically tuned for a higher light pollution environment.

I'm curious if others on this forum might be willing to share some strategies ...
NovaTJ 0.00
Very nice image and processing! I'm still learning Pixinsight so can't share skills I don't have.
Elmiko 9.53
Nice image 👍. Carastro! Nice job on the processing.
Mike
carastro 8.04
Thanks every-one.
Is this broadband or narrowband?

Yes sorry, narrowband.

Ben Koltenbah:
That's very well done!  You did a good job of showing the details of Melotte 15, and the SHO colors are very nice.

NB imaging is a great refuge for those of us who image most of the time under higher light pollution.  However, I have found that there is quite a bit that can be done with broadband as well so long as one allows for sufficient integration time and takes careful steps with gradient removal.  Nothing beats dark skies, of course, but getting to those sites is near impossible for many of us!  And so I've been spending my time honing acquisition and processing skills specifically tuned for a higher light pollution environment.

I'm curious if others on this forum might be willing to share some strategies ...

I have recently purchase a Hutech IDAS filter which an astro chum who lives in Bortle 7 seems to be getting good results with.  I have tried it out once and it seemed to be an improvement but time will tell.

Carole
VicV 3.77
Hi Carole, it's a nice image but in my opinion not completely appropriate for this group.
When I look at the group title, I expect broadband images only 
carastro 8.04
Hi Carole, it's a nice image but in my opinion not completely appropriate for this group.When I look at the group title, I expect broadband images only

Sorry, misread the main heading.

Carole
Edited ...
NovaTJ 0.00
Maybe rather than change the image, why not change the title of the group to include any astro image from Bortle 7,8, or 9?

Greg
carastro 8.04
I've edited the heading on this thread.

Carole
Edited ...
NovaTJ 0.00
Sweet!

Register or login to create to post a reply.