Solution: Condensation!! / ZWO ASI6200MM PRO ist defekt, hat defekte Pixel (siehe Bild)! / ZWO ASI6200MM PRO is defective, has defective pixels (see picture)! ZWO ASI6200MM Pro · Hans Widmer · ... · 9 · 688 · 3

widmerhans 1.20
· 
Hallo AstroBin Benutzer
Nach langer Abstinenz (1 Jahr Foto-Entwicklungsrückstand, 8 (!) Monaten Astro-Schlecht-Wetter-Pause) habe ich es wieder einmal versucht.
Ab 01.09.2021 bis 22.09.2022 habe ich ohne Probleme mit der ASI6200MM PRO fotografiert.
Nun habe ich mit dieser Kamera die Astrofotografie wieder aufnehmen wollen und ernte lauter defekte Pixel.
Ich nehme an, dass die Kamera defekt ist. Ich kann mich nicht erinnern, dass ich irgendwelche Einstellungen hätte vornehmen müssen.
Ich konnte die Kamera jeweils am Tubus anschrauben, verbinden, Temperatur einstellen, Gain und Offset einstellen und los ging es.

Hat irgendjemand dieses Phänomen auch schon gehabt und kann mir bestätigen, dass die Kamera definitiv defekt ist?

Die Kamera ist noch nicht zwei Jahre alt! Sie hätte also noch Garantie.

In der Anlage findet sich ein Bild der Situation.

Vielen Dank, Hans

Hello AstroBin users
After a long period of abstinence (1 year photo development delay, 8 (!) months astro bad weather break) I tried again.
From September 1st, 2021 to September 22nd, 2022 I took pictures with the ASI6200MM PRO without any problems.
Now I want to take up astrophotography again with this camera and I am getting a lot of defective pixels.
I assume the camera is defective. I don't remember having to make any adjustments.
I was able to screw the camera to the tube, connect it, set the temperature, set the gain and offset and off we went.

Has anyone had this phenomenon and can confirm that the camera is definitely defective?

The camera is not yet two years old! So it still have a guarantee.

Attached is a picture of the situation.

Thanks very much, Hans

M63_UHCS_1x1_150s_-15C_ASI6200MM_PRO_defekt.png
Edited ...
JimLindelien
· 
·  3 likes
I have on occasion seen this effect and determined it was due to condensation. I turned off the 6200's  cooler for a few minutes to clear it, then back on at a higher temperature for those nights.

You might try a daytime image at ambient temperature and see if you get a clear picture.

Good luck !

CS, Jim
widmerhans 1.20
· 
Hello Jim

Thank you very much for your answer.
For the whole of last year, however, I have not been observing the formation of condensation.
That would really be the first time.
From April 28, 2022, however, I had taken a summer break.
So I have never photographed with this camera until the end of May.
However, my storage room is relatively cool (a lot of concrete) and that could have already cooled down the camera body.

By the way: I can't find anything about a heater in the manual of ASI6200MM Pro.
I'm going to focus on this topic today.
First I will let the camera warm up to ambient temperature in my living room.
Then I won't cool down the chip immediately.
Then I will only cool the chip to -10° Celsius and no longer to -15° Celsius.
Maybe your are right, would be great!

Thanks again for the answer.

Hans
widmerhans 1.20
· 
·  4 likes
Hi Jim

It really was condensation!
I have now carefully inspected all the pictures, one after the other.
The dewdrop gets smaller and smaller until it finally disappears completely.
Mama mia, why didn't I see that myself.

Thank you again for your tip!

Best regards
Hans
bmantooth 1.81
· 
·  1 like
See if that camera has desiccant that needs to be replaced. You may not have had issues because it was still absorbing the water
JimLindelien
· 
·  2 likes
Hans,

I'm so glad to have been of help. For my locale I can run -10C in the dryer summer months, otherwise -5C.

Also, I noticed that the problem is more likely to be obvious when I am imaging at f/10 or f/7 and less obvious at f/2.2, strongly suggesting that this is condensation on the exterior surface of the AR glass window of the camera, rather than water vapor leaking into the camera and condensing on the sensor's surface, which would produce similar spots at any f ratio.

On humid nights I wrap a dew heater around the filter drawer assy just ahead of the camera, as this keeps the front surface of the camera's AR window warmer.

​​​​Like you, the first time this happened to me my heart sank into a short panic that my camera investment might not have been a good decision. Luckily it turned out to be no real trouble.

Cheers,
​​​​
Jim

Edit: As Kai mentions the camera has a built-in dew heater and N.I.N.A. let's one enable/disable it, but in my experience on humid nights an added dew strap is needed.
Edited ...
Rhein-Main_Astronomie 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Laut Datenblatt bei TS hat die Cam eine Heizung bereits eingebaut - wie die 2600 ebenso.
Die ist im Treiber einfach einzuschalten, aber nur ON / OFF,  nicht regelbar.

musst mal schauen.

Ansonsten, wenn jetzt schon Feuchtigkeit IM Gehäuse ist - über den "Zugang" die Trocknungspatrone mal anschließen um das System garantiert Feuchtigkeitsfrei zu bekommen.

Gruß Kai
cgrobi 4.53
· 
·  2 likes
Hi Hans,

the question is, if the heater inside the camera (that Kai mentioned) is heating the glass on top of the sensor or just the protective window of the housing. I don't know! I had condensation myself some days ago and the drops in your image show clearly a problem on top of the sensor glass. The drops are really sharp in your image which is not the case if they formed at the protective window..

However, I tried a second time to dry the desiccant tablets in the microwave, which helps to keep taking images with my 294MM for some days until the new ones arrive. On saturday, I replaced the tablets with those new ones and immediatly had no issues anymore. I always take my images at -20 degrees (just because I can). In the summer months, I may have to use -15 instead, but thats rarely neccessary.

Greetings

Christian
Edited ...
widmerhans 1.20
· 
Hi Jim, Brent, Kai and Christian
Thank you for all your replies.
Your answers have compelled me to research this camera's heater and desiccant tablets.
I've just never had condensation problems with either the ASI1600, ASI2600 or ASI6200.
Although the ASI6200 is the youngest, its larger chip is of course a larger heat (cold) storage. I also believe that the condensation had formed inside the camera and therefore this is an indication that the desiccant tablets are no longer able to absorb enough moisture.
So I will change the tablets.
In TheSkyX (TSX) I found the heater, it's set to '1', which should normally indicate 'on'. But I am not sure.
"turn on/off anti dew heater(cool camera only), Scale: [0, 1]" suggests on = 0 and off = 1. So maybe the heater wasn't working at all.
See pictures below.
By the way:
For those who are interested, two more photos in the attachment, 1 x desiccant tablets (installation location), 1 x TSX section regarding the heater setting and a link for 'How_to_clean_ASI_camera_and_redry_the_desiccants_EN_V1.2.pdf'.
Thank you all again.👍🤝
Greetings Hans

Hi Jim, Brent, Kai und Christian
Vielen Dank für alle eure Antworten.
Eure Antworten haben mich gezwungen, mich über den Heater und die Trockentabletten dieser Kamera zu informieren.
Ich hatte einfach noch nie Kondensationsprobleme, weder mit der ASI1600, der ASI2600 noch mit der ASI6200.
Obwohl die ASI6200 die jüngste ist, ist ihr grösserer Chip natürlich ein grössere Wärme(Kälte)speicher. Ich glaube auch, dass das Kondensat im Inneren der Kamera aufgetreten war und dass das daher ein Anzeichen dafür ist, dass die Trockentabletten nicht mehr genug Feuchtigkeit aufnehmen können.
Ich werde die Tabletten daher auswechseln.
In TheSkyX (TSX) habe ich den Heater gefunden, er steht auf '1', was normalerweise auf 'on' hindeuten sollte. Ich bin mir aber nicht sicher.
"turn on/off anti dew heater(cool camera only), Scale: [0, 1]" deutet eher auf on = 0 und off = 1 hin. Möglicherweise war der Heater also gar nicht in Funktion.
Übrigens: 
Für Interessierte noch zwei Fotos in der Anlage, 1 x Trockentabletten (Einbau-Ort), 1 x TSX-Ausschnitt betreffend Heater-Einstellung und einen Link für 'How_to_clean_ASI_camera_and_redry_the_desiccants_EN_V1.2.pdf'.
Vielen Dank an alle nochmals.👍🤝
Gruss, Hans

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/manuals/How_to_clean_ASI_camera_and_redry_the_desiccants_EN_V1.2.pdf

Rhein-Main_Astronomie 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Ich betreibe meine 2600 (und den Rest der Ausrüstung) über eine selbstgebaute Stromkiste mit Integriertem Strom/Leistungsmessgerät.
Bei 12V sind 5Watt (nach Datenblatt) knapp n halbes Ampere - also definitiv messbar.
An meiner Anzeige kann ich genau sehen ob die 5W mehr gezogen werden.

Aber:

Ich denke du hast recht: die Heizung ist eher dafür da damit das Schutzglas außerhalb nicht zutraut. Was übrigens blöd ist, weil ich es schon hatte - macht aber lustige Fotos....

Wenn du erstmal Feuchtigkeit in der Kammer hast, dann ändert die Heizung daran auch nichts - die Feuchtigkeit wird am kältesten Punkt kondensiert was natürlich der gekühlte Chip ist.

Somit würde ich dgir auf jeden Fall nahelegen die Tabletten zu regenerieren oder auszutauschen.

An meiner 2600 (Touptek) hatte ich letzte Woche ein Krümel auf dem Chip. Runtergepustet mit Blasebalg durch den "do not Open" Zugang für die Trocknerpatrone.
Die Sc4hraube mit Dichtring war aber echt sehr leicht zu4 öffnen dass ich mir durchaus vorstellen kann das Da was reingekommen sein kann. Klar, ich schlage mit der Kamera auch Zeltnägel ein und kehre den Beobachtungsplatz....

Aber wen  da Mechanisch was rein kommen kann, ist es definitiv nicht Gasdicht und über die lange Zeit sind dir kleinen Silicageltabletten schnell erschöpft.

Mein loses Silicagel welches ich im Montierungskoffer habe trockne ich im Backofen bei 90⁰C Umluft - unter ab und zu öffnen der Klappe. Müsste mit den ausgebauten Tabletten auch funktionieren (ohne Garantie und Gewähr)

Somit würde ich mir über Funktion der Kamera keinen Kopf machen, das ist allen Nachvollziehbar und sollte auch nichts kaputt machen.

Gruß Kai

Register or login to create to post a reply.