ASI533MC Pro - Crop of Full Frame ZWO ASI533MC Pro · Eric Gagne · ... · 17 · 451 · 2

EricGagne 1.51
· 
Hello,

With it's 1"x1" sensor is it considered a full frame or a crop sensor ?   I can't find a clear answer to that anywhere on internet.   I am thinking of getting a Sharpstar 50EDPH or a 61EDPH III and I can't figure out if I would need to add a reducer.
Anderl 3.81
· 
·  1 like
image.png
ricklkiwi 0.00
· 
I have the 533. My understanding is that it is a crop sensor. 
It is a great sensor. It is a cropped version of the APS-C IMX571 sensor in the ASI2600.

I have had great experiences with my WO GT 71.
RemcoNL 0.90
· 
·  1 like
The ASI533MC pro sensor is smaller than both a fullframe and an APS-C size sensor.
the ASI533 sensor is roughly 11mm x 11mm in size where full frame is generally 36mm x 24mm.

So it's a big difference.

I guess you would be interested in adding the reducer to get a bigger field of view? That could certainly work. Or do you have other considerations?

But I would first enter the details of the camera and the telescope in a tool like telescopius.com or stellarium to see how you like te field of view before you do so. You can easily find the cameras details on the zwo website but here are the specs that those tools generally ask:

resolution: 3008 x 3008
pixel size: 3.76
bronco 1.51
· 
·  1 like
A 533 sensor measures 11.3mm x 11.3mm, so it is by no means a full frame camera. I got the ASI533MC Pro and I love it.
martin-in.space 0.90
· 
It's crop senzor with crop factor ~2,7x.
jfgildepareja 0.00
· 
It is not a full frame sensor
EricGagne 1.51
· 
·  1 like
Checking Andy's picture...............so anything under 36x24 is crop ?
dk94041 0.00
· 
Yes, you would need the ASI6200MC for a full frame sensor (~$3.5K)
Edited ...
geeklee 2.71
· 
·  2 likes
Here's a comparison with the typical sensor sizes used in some ZWO cameras (the 533 sensor is the smallest).  Not sure if the scope you're looking at is identical, but the relative sizes will be the same.

The ASI2600 is APS-C and the ASI6200 Full frame.

image.png
RemcoNL 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Eric Gagne:
Checking Andy's picture...............so anything under 36x24 is crop ?

A cropped sensor is a very loose term. In daytime photography where Canon and Nikon and some other brands are concerned, a cropped sensor specifically refers to the APS-C size.

A little bit beyond that definition a cropped sensor can be anything smaller than 24x36mm

but we are setting ourselfs up for disaster with those definitions. In not too long we will be using sensor sizes way larger than full frame. And it will be very difficult to communicate in terms of full frame and cropped.

For astrophotography most of this doesn't really matter in the first place.
You need to make sure your image circel is big enough for te sensor. (this makes sense if you want to buy a big sensor)
The size of the pixel in combination with the focal length of the telescope determine the pixel scale and thus the level of detail.
The size of the sensor in combination with the focal length of the telescope determine the field of view. (How much of the sky will be in the frame)
The QE (quantum efficiëncy) indicates how light sensitive the camera is.

Good luck with your decisions!
alantidey 0.00
· 
Don't worry about the square sensor either, as once processed, most people find that they will crop to give a square image as lots of targets are circular in shape. Good luck
BKAstro 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Eric Gagne:
Hello,

With it's 1"x1" sensor is it considered a full frame or a crop sensor ?   I can't find a clear answer to that anywhere on internet.   I am thinking of getting a Sharpstar 50EDPH or a 61EDPH III and I can't figure out if I would need to add a reducer.

I have both the 533MC Pro and the 61EDPH III with the 0.75X reducer/field flattener.
I would recommend getting the field flattener.
Check out my images to get an idea of what you can expect.
EricGagne 1.51
· 
·  1 like
Brandon your horsehead nebula picture convinced me.  I'm gonna save a little longer and go with the 61.
dkamen 6.89
· 
Just to clarify, the sensor is 11x11mm, not 1"x1". 1"×1" would be almost 5 times larger. I don't know why it is marketed as 1". I love that sensor too, but it is not 1".
dk94041 0.00
· 
Just to clarify, the sensor is 11x11mm, not 1"x1". 1"×1" would be almost 5 times larger. I don't know why it is marketed as 1". I love that sensor too, but it is not 1".

It's 1" on the diagonal
bronco 1.51
· 
Dan Kohn:

It's 1" on the diagonal

With 2 sides of 11.3mm the diagonal is 16mm, not an inch.
bronco 1.51
· 
https://www.trustedreviews.com/explainer/what-is-1-inch-camera-sensor-in-phone-4357080#

Register or login to create to post a reply.