Problems with my 2600MC Pro? ZWO ASI2600MM Pro · David Ebbecke · ... · 14 · 805 · 5

deebbecke 0.00
· 
Last night marked my 3rd night out with my new 2600MM Pro.  During each night I've had issues with what appears to be condensation
 First night:  I made the following post.  Chalked up up to failing to switch on the camera's dew heater.  Prior to going out for a second night I inspected the sensor (removed EFW) and it was spotless. https://www.cloudyni...worried-newbie/ Second night: Started off with similar issue but different pattern in the image.  Camera's internal dew heater on the entire time.  The issue seem to resolve rather quickly.  I didn't get any images from the second night. Last night: 30 minutes prior to imaging I set up the scope.  Temp:40 deg. F.  When I was ready to image I switched everything on and noticed the same issue, however this time, the problem worsened over the next ~1 hour until I decided to end the evening in frustration.  Camera cooling set to 0 deg. the entire time.  It was approx. 38 deg. F when I started imaging and 35 deg. F when I quick after about an hour. Below is the progression.   Do I have a problem with this camera or is it me?  Looking to the collective wisdom of other.  Thank you!

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 5.38.45 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 5.39.08 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 5.39.27 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 5.39.46 AM.jpg
CingStars 1.43
· 
·  2 likes
TreeBranches.jpgHi.  I offer this since I see something similar if my target is low and there are tree branches in the FOV.   What was the altitude of your target when you captured these frames?

Honestly, I'm not sure that's your problem at all, but I notice the same pattern of shifting dark areas when there is something (like a tree) interfering.  Once the target gets high enough, that dark pattern disappears.

I was using an ASI2600MM (dew heater on, temp around 15 deg F, no visible condensation/dew on 107PHQ objective lens).  After about 10 subs once the target got high enough, the frames looked perfect.  Time to trim that tree!!
Edited ...
deebbecke 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Oh wow!  I actually was shooting in between some trees to PA and I can see how I may have had obstruction in the FOV.  I did return the mount to home position and shot a final image (last one in the series in my post).  It looks different than the others, so that still has me wondering?  But, if the issue turns out to be what you're suggesting, boy am I going to feel silly (and embarrassed)!!

Really appreciate your reply, Greg.

David
CingStars 1.43
· 
·  3 likes
I lost count -- a LONG time ago! -- of the silly things I've done, David!  LOL!  Fingers crossed that it's something simple and easily explained.

Greg
deebbecke 0.00
· 
Glad to hear it's not only me!  Yes, fingers tightly crossed.  Thanks again, Greg!

Dave
Leonardo-Ruiz 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Edited ...
hkara 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Seriously, when I got my edge 9.25, I was setting up and testing it out inside because it was cold. I looked through the viewfinder and I could not get the image to focus no matter what. After a while I realized that I was looking through  a clear stained glass window. Never felt stupider…
Gary.JONES 5.77
· 
·  3 likes
I deebbecke,
IMHO that is definitely not dew - it's almost certainly an obstruction such as a twig or branch of a tree.

The shadow appears to move upwards and to the left in the first 3 images, suggesting a fixed object in the field of view, and the stars in the shadowy areas are crisp and round, although not as bright as in other areas.

Dew generally causes a 'hazy' appearance across an area of the image, causes halos around bright stars, and tends to fade away from the edges as the dew heater does its job.

Attached is little movie showing a good example based on a series of 3-minute exposures - you can see the margin of the dew fading to the right after frame #20, until it disappears completely at frame #36.

FYI - I accidentally bumped the telescope at frame #22, which caused 2 offset images to be captured in the same frame - but note how the edge of the dew progresses smoothly from frames #20-35.

I think it's safe to say that your 2600 is working OK, but I suggest the following :-

1. Set up your gear well before dusk - to give your camera and OTA time to stabilise;
2. Switch on your dew heater and cooler when setting up, well before you start imaging - 30 minutes is definitely not long enough;
3. Keep good notes about the temperature, humidity and dew point - that helps a lot when troubleshooting.

I hope his helps

Gary
20 40 43 = NGC 7184 - Barred Spiral Galaxy 720p.mov
Edited ...
JohnAdastra 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Those longish dark spots do look like branches. Test again in clear sky.

Some early 2600MMs had some issues with silicone leaking from the heat transfer pad, but I think that bad component had been replaced. But that would be in every frame.

With all my ZWO cams, I take them apart at least once a year and nuke the desiccant pellets in the microwave. That will help with any condensation inside the sensor cover.

Good luck.
deebbecke 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I appreciate all the responses!  Feeling a little better about the state of my camera now.  

Gary - Yes, I see how these images resemble tree branches.  The 4 image is notably different though.  Not sure if this pattern can still represent an obstruction in the FOV.  I'll get back out there this weekend to retest and provide an update.  I will definitely start putting into practice your recommendations for set up.  The movie you attached provides a nice example of dew and the characteristics it had as the night progressed.  Very helpful!

John - Thank you for your recommendations as well!
Gary.JONES 5.77
· 
Hi deebbecke,
Many thanks for your kind comments

I think a case can be made for leaves to have caused those dark areas ... as I mentioned, the telltale sign for dew is halos around bright stars, which are not evident in your images.

I've fallen afoul of trees many times. It's extremely difficult to tell by eye whether a branch (or my roof) might be in the way - this is one of the main reasons I fitted a laser to my telescope - now I can be 100% certain when my FoV is approaching an obstruction, before it spoils an image.

Cheers,

Gary
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  2 likes
Harry Karamitsos:
Seriously, when I got my edge 9.25, I was setting up and testing it out inside because it was cold. I looked through the viewfinder and I could not get the image to focus no matter what. After a while I realized that I was looking through  a clear stained glass window. Never felt stupider…

You remind me of something:

One night I tried to focus my guide scope, but the image was all black; I repeatedly tried focusing both ways, but couldn't see a single star; I thought "what's going on? Why is my guide cam so out of focus?" I even increased the gain to try to help me see stars.

Well, then I saw that the dust cap was on the guide scope... 
Edited ...
MJF_Memorial_Observatory 0.00
· 
Is this frost?
Gary.JONES 5.77
· 
No, I don't think so ...

Frost typically causes loss of detail and the appearance of halos around bright stars, neither of which is evident in the 4 original photos.

You can see a good example of the effects of dew/frost in the movie attached to my post above

Cheers,

Gary
Edited ...
deebbecke 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Great idea with the laser, Gary!  I'm dodging trees where I live (as you have already witnessed), so I don't see this problem going away unless I take steps to mitigate.  

I really appreciate your recommendations.

Clear skies!

David

Register or login to create to post a reply.