2600mm pro - bias frames or darkflats, gain 101? ZWO ASI2600MM Pro · Daniel Renner · ... · 32 · 1536 · 4

This topic contains a poll.
Bias frames or Dark flats
Bias
Dark flats
Doesnt matter, it creates same result
Calzune 1.91
· 
Reg Pratt:
Miguel G.:
Jonny Bravo:
You get different answers because this is one of those topics that's eternally debated. You've got staunch supporters on both sides of the argument. Coke or Pepsi? Tastes great or less filling? Dark flats or biases? These things may never be answered

agreed

@Daniel Renner try both and choose your best

This. Ive personally had success with bias and dark flats. Pick one and if it works roll with it.

how do I do bias frames? What's the fastest shutter speed?
mgutierrez 1.43
· 
·  1 like
I use ekos and set exposure to 0. It gets automatically the shortest possible value. I guess nina and similar does the same, not sure.
Reg_00 8.52
· 
·  1 like
Daniel Renner:
Reg Pratt:
Miguel G.:
Jonny Bravo:
You get different answers because this is one of those topics that's eternally debated. You've got staunch supporters on both sides of the argument. Coke or Pepsi? Tastes great or less filling? Dark flats or biases? These things may never be answered

agreed

@Daniel Renner try both and choose your best

This. Ive personally had success with bias and dark flats. Pick one and if it works roll with it.

how do I do bias frames? What's the fastest shutter speed?

Depends on the software you're using. Some software will automatically set the cameras highest shutter speed by selecting a 0s exposure. if you have to set it manually its 0.032s.
mc0676 1.20
· 
·  1 like
I used bias with ASI2600 OSC first and ASI2600MM then for two years.
Then i started with dark flat.

And no differences ... only more work and more files with darkflats (and more time for the integration).
Bab85 1.81
· 
Michele Campini:
I used bias with ASI2600 OSC first and ASI2600MM then for two years.
Then i started with dark flat.

And no differences ... only more work and more files with darkflats (and more time for the integration).

I switched back to bias for this reason once I went from OSC to Mono
enta 1.20
· 
I think if the poll is telling me one thing, seems like there are no issues with both of the options.
Whatever you using, if it works, who cares.
Never stop a running system.
Wjdrijfhout 4.89
· 
·  1 like
I use NINA so after the flats are done the darkflats come automaticly, so itdoesnt really matter for me. I just want to know whats best to use..

Flats (of course)
Dark flats?
Bias?
Darks? (I know it doesnt have amp glow, but darks reduces some noise right?

Best is to use FlatDarks, but in real life, assuming dithering, the difference will be hard to see. I tested this and the electronic signature of the sensor is already detectable after a few seconds, see this blog. But the effect is so small that either bias or FlatDarks will give you very similar results.
Wjdrijfhout 4.89
· 
·  1 like
It seemed to me like a good idea to take flats at low gain to increase exposure time. The result was severe, grainy walking- noise which was not averaged out by taking a hundred flats.

It is very important to take flats and lights in the same conversion mode (high or low conversion mode). For ZWO cameras the high conversion starts at gain 100. In this mode the sensor does a lot of weird things. Mixing that with flats taken in low conversion gain (e.g. gain 0) can give poor results. I have tested this extensively and if you want to check it out, here is the link to the article.

Register or login to create to post a reply.