I need to update my Asi 120mm mini because of faulty guiding. The ZWO Updating Software doesn't provide me with the right Files ZWO ASI120MM Mini · Jens · ... · 7 · 727 · 2

Jeroe 3.61
· 
·  1 like
I need to Update my ZWO 120mm mini guidescope because it won't guide properly and loose stars even in a clear night. Sometimes over half of my exposures during a night are unuseable. I downloaded their Upgrade software, connected the camera, which gets recognized and then tells me to select a .img file.
when I researched, I found out that on other downloads of other people they are actually included. in my download they are just not there, I only have .iic files which I can't use.
does anyone maybe have those .img files for me to use? or what am I doing wrong?

literally nothing in astrophotography works without troubleshooting... I sometimes really don't get why do I like this hobby so much...
jpitcherastro 0.00
· 
As far as I know, you should just have to download the Firmware Upgrade Tool from ZWO and run it. 

https://www.zwoastro.com/downloads/

Then run the application, select your camera, and click "Firmware Update" 

image.png
Jeroe 3.61
· 
exactly, and then it asks me to select the update .img file that should be downloaded with the folder in a folder called "USB 3.0" next to the Folder "USB 2.0". For me that folder doesn't exist, it only downloaded the folder "USB 2.0" with the wrong files in it.

When you click on the folder "firmware" what folders do you have there?
jpitcherastro 0.00
· 
Yea, mine also only has USB 2.0.  You might want to reach out to ZWO support. The readme in the zip file references the USB 3.0 folder as well, but it definitely isn't there. It looks like their download package is missing some files. 
image.png
BensAstroStuff 0.00
· 
I'm not super familiar with this process, so this may not be relevant....
While the ASI120 has a USB-C connector, it is still a USB-2 device. It does not use USB-3.
Maybe their documentation is a copy/paste from a different camera?

Also, you're screenshots show you have V1.0 of the Firmware Updater, but V1.1 was released September 15th.
Maybe something changed there?

I downloaded it and the README.txt file says:
"If there is a problem with your camera, you need to contact our technical supporter. If our technical supporter determines that your camera needs to upgrade firmware, they will send you the firmware file."
Tombee 1.51
· 
·  1 like
I'm not super familiar with this process, so this may not be relevant....
While the ASI120 has a USB-C connector, it is still a USB-2 device. It does not use USB-3.
Maybe their documentation is a copy/paste from a different camera?

Also, you're screenshots show you have V1.0 of the Firmware Updater, but V1.1 was released September 15th.
Maybe something changed there?

I downloaded it and the README.txt file says:
"If there is a problem with your camera, you need to contact our technical supporter. If our technical supporter determines that your camera needs to upgrade firmware, they will send you the firmware file."

I also noticed that the updater seems a bit old and as the 120MINI doen't have USB3 there is only the USB2 option.
This is the case with most (all?) ZWO mini cameras like 120, 174 and 220.
The newer non-MINI cameras are equipped with USB3.
johnschnupp 0.00
· 
Hello Jens,

All ZWO mini cameras (ASI120MM mini, ASI220MM mini, ASI174MM mini, the ASI290MM mini is discontinued)  are USB2 only.  If the FWupdate software does not recognize a USB3 device it will not install the USB3 folder.  If you want to use USB3 then you need to purchase one of the large cameras. 

How exactly is your ASI120MM mini "not guiding properly"? 
What software are you using for guiding? 
What mount are you using?

It is possible that your guiding problem may not be a problem with the ASI120MM mini driver installation.  If your imaging/data collection software is receiving images from the guide camera, then the installation is probably ok.   By far one of the most common problems is issues with the USB cables.  Close second is incorrect configuration/settings is the guiding software.  If we knew more about your specific setup and equipment we may be able to offer additional help.

You are correct, astrophotography is not easy.  On of the biggest challenges is to get all the different pieces of equipment and various software to properly work together.  When it comes to troubleshooting, a lot can be done during the day or on nights when conditions are not perfectly suited.  But when you get it all working and you get a great image it is very rewarding.

John Schnupp, N3CNL
2007 R1200RT +75,200
1995 XLH 1200 106,495 (retired)
Georgia, VT44.7675°N, 73.1592
Edited ...
Jeroe 3.61
· 
Hey @john schnupp

I made a seperate thread with my problem, with all the details listed up

https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/astrophotography/deep-sky/loosing-over-half-my-exporsures-due-to-guiding-how-can-i-improve/?page=1#post-134508

I'd be very thankfull for any help I can get, thank you

Register or login to create to post a reply.