Photography of nebulae Sony Cybershot DSC-HX200V · Juri · ... · 5 · 377 · 0

qucki 0.00
· 
Will it be possible to shoot reflective/emission nebulae with a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX200V camera and a telescope with an aperture of 114 mm and a focal length of 450 mm? I'm beginner.
andreatax 7.76
· 
·  2 likes
In theory it might be possible but practically the chances to find the adapters required are slim to none. And given the size of the sensor you'll be better off with any of the small astro-dedicated cameras out there which would probably cost as much as the adapters.
qucki 0.00
· 
Thanks
bhayward 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Juri:
Will it be possible to shoot reflective/emission nebulae with a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX200V camera and a telescope with an aperture of 114 mm and a focal length of 450 mm? I'm beginner.

I have this camera too.  The problem is attaching any accessories to it.  This camera has decent magnification on it's own (30x) and can probably target some very wide field targets in the sky.  So it's probably worth trying it without the telescope.  You could try doing some milky way shots, or a wide field Veil nebula, Orion Nebula, Andromeda, etc.  If you put it on a tracking mount, it will work even better.  Without tracking, you will need to go with shorter light frames.

Having said the above, I haven't tried mine on DSO's yet but plan to give it a shot this summer on a simple tripod.

I did use it for the solar eclipse and it worked quite well for partial phases and totality!  I 3d-printed a little plastic cover to hold the white light solar film.  My 3d printed solar filter is just friction-fit onto the lens and when it retracts after turning it off, it pulls the lens out of the solar filter.  With it pointed high up in the sky, the filter stayed there still covering the lens.  But if the sun is lower in altitude, it would actually fall off after retraction.   Had to be careful not to bump it causing the filter to fall off.
Edited ...
qucki 0.00
· 
Brian Hayward:
Juri:

I have this camera too.  The problem is attaching any accessories to it.  This camera has decent magnification on it's own (30x) and can probably target some very wide field targets in the sky.  So it's probably worth trying it without the telescope.  You could try doing some milky way shots, or a wide field Veil nebula, Orion Nebula, Andromeda, etc.  If you put it on a tracking mount, it will work even better.  Without tracking, you will need to go with shorter light frames.

Having said the above, I haven't tried mine on DSO's yet but plan to give it a shot this summer on a simple tripod.

I did use it for the solar eclipse and it worked quite well for partial phases and totality!  I 3d-printed a little plastic cover to hold the white light solar film.  My 3d printed solar filter is just friction-fit onto the lens and when it retracts after turning it off, it pulls the lens out of the solar filter.  With it pointed high up in the sky, the filter stayed there still covering the lens.  But if the sun is lower in altitude, it would actually fall off after retraction.   Had to be careful not to bump it causing the filter to fall off.

I have an EQ-1. I understand that you can just screw the camera to it. So you don't have to attach a camera to the telescope?
bhayward 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Since this camera already has a lens with 30x optical zoom, you don't need another lens(telescope) on this camera to capture targets in the sky.  The lens IS your telescope.   It's not perfect, it doesn't have a large aperture, but there's no reason you can't try it out and see how it works.

People who use DSLR's for astrophotography either use the camera lens for the photograph or remove the lens and attach it to a telescope.  They don't typically use a lens with a telescope. Obviously, with this camera, you cannot remove the lens.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.