Focuser upgrade for the SkyWatcher SkyLux 190MN Sky-Watcher Starlux 190MN / BK 190MN DS · Kevin Dixon · ... · 20 · 743 · 2

kevinldixon 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Hi folks,

I just purchased a SkyWatcher SkyLux 190 Maksutov Newtonian and would like to upgrade the focuser.  I would like to receive suggestions on a solid focuser that would work well with this telescope.  If you own this telescope and have upgraded the focuser, I would very much like to hear about your choice of focuser and your experience with it.  Thank you!

Clear skies,
Kevin
CosmiQbr 0.00
· 
I just bought the ZWO EAF with the temp sensor and hand control for it. Works great for me.
kevinldixon 1.20
· 
Thank you for the reply.  You are using the EAF on a SkyLux 190MN?

Clear skies,
Kevin
wimvb 1.91
· 
Kevin Dixon:
Hi folks,

I just purchased a SkyWatcher SkyLux 190 Maksutov Newtonian and would like to upgrade the focuser.  I would like to receive suggestions on a solid focuser that would work well with this telescope.  If you own this telescope and have upgraded the focuser, I would very much like to hear about your choice of focuser and your experience with it.  Thank you!

Clear skies,
Kevin

* I have the 190MN with its stock focuser, but have ordered a FeatherTouch to replace it. I ordered the FT in August, but lead time is veeeery long. FeatherTouch/StarlightIbstruments has an adapter ring so that the focuser fits to the base plate. The position of the focuser under the secondary is very critical, and you don't want to mess with it too much.
MoonLite also supplies a focuser that matches the 190MN. What electronic focus motor you use with it is less relevant. Mine is a Pegasus Astro FocusCube.

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=140193

cs,

Wim
kevinldixon 1.20
· 
Thank you very much for the helpful information.

Clear skies,
Kevin
CosmiQbr 0.00
· 
Kevin Dixon:
Thank you for the reply.  You are using the EAF on a SkyLux 190MN?

Clear skies,
Kevin

Yes, that's correct. It fits quite nicely with the stock focuser.
kevinldixon 1.20
· 
Excellent.  Would you happen to have a picture of the mounted EAF that I could look over?  Thank you!

Clear skies,
Kevin
CosmiQbr 0.00
· 
Kevin Dixon:
Excellent.  Would you happen to have a picture of the mounted EAF that I could look over?  Thank you!

Clear skies,
Kevin

Sorry for the low resolution. The only picture I had was one of the whole scope so I cropped and circled how it looks. PXL_20220910_030231139~2.jpg
kevinldixon 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Thank you so much.  Greatly appreciated!

Clear skies,
Kevin
kevinldixon 1.20
· 
Good evening - one more question - were you able to attach the EAF with the hardware supplied by ZWO or did you have to use different hardware.

Thank you.

Kevin
CosmiQbr 0.00
· 
Kevin Dixon:
Good evening - one more question - were you able to attach the EAF with the hardware supplied by ZWO or did you have to use different hardware.

Thank you.

Kevin

I was able to install it using the included hardware.
kevinldixon 1.20
· 
Excellent.  Thanks very much!

Clear skies,
Kevin
Loopy 0.00
· 
Wim van Berlo:
Kevin Dixon:
Hi folks,

Clear skies,
Kevin

* I have the 190MN with its stock focuser, but have ordered a FeatherTouch to replace it. I ordered the FT in August, but lead time is veeeery long. FeatherTouch/StarlightIbstruments has an adapter ring so that the focuser fits to the base plate. The position of the focuser under the secondary is very critical, and you don't want to mess with it too much.
MoonLite also supplies a focuser that matches the 190MN. What electronic focus motor you use with it is less relevant. Mine is a Pegasus Astro FocusCube.

cs,

Wim

Hi, could you please let me know which FeatherTouch model as well the adapter you ended up with?
kevinldixon 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Hello Pavle,

I ended up purchasing a Moonlite focuser for my StarLux 190MN.  I chose the CR 2" format high-res stepper motor Newt focuser with the battery-operated hand controller.  I selected the 2.37" compression ring and the MN-190 Unit-Kit

I am very pleased with the Moonlite focuser.  It helps to yield pinpoint stars with the 190MN and easily handles the weight of my Starlight Xpress camera and filter wheel.

Clear skies,
Kevin
wimvb 1.91
· 
·  1 like
Pavle Culum:
Wim van Berlo:
Kevin Dixon:
Hi folks,

Clear skies,
Kevin

cs,

Wim

Hi, could you please let me know which FeatherTouch model as well the adapter you ended up with?

I never bought a FeatherTouch. The one that I had ordered through Astroshop.eu was the FTF2015BCR with this Adapter at a total price of about $ 800 
However, after a year, Astroshop still couldn't set a delivery date. In stead, I bought the much cheaper Omegon Steeltrail for only $ 306. Both focusers have the 78 mm base diameter, identical to the stock focuser (low profile Crayford focuser).
Loopy 0.00
· 
Wim van Berlo:
Pavle Culum:
Wim van Berlo:
Kevin Dixon:
Hi folks,

Clear skies,
Kevin

cs,

Wim

I never bought a FeatherTouch. The one that I had ordered through Astroshop.eu was the FTF2015BCR with this Adapter at a total price of about $ 800 
However, after a year, Astroshop still couldn't set a delivery date. In stead, I bought the much cheaper Omegon Steeltrail for only $ 306. Both focusers have the 78 mm base diameter, identical to the stock focuser (low profile Crayford focuser).

Thanks so much for the info, i will definitely check them out. Did you require an adapter for the Omegon focuser?
Loopy 0.00
· 
Kevin Dixon:
Hello Pavle,

I ended up purchasing a Moonlite focuser for my StarLux 190MN.  I chose the CR 2" format high-res stepper motor Newt focuser with the battery-operated hand controller.  I selected the 2.37" compression ring and the MN-190 Unit-Kit

I am very pleased with the Moonlite focuser.  It helps to yield pinpoint stars with the 190MN and easily handles the weight of my Starlight Xpress camera and filter wheel.

Clear skies,
Kevin

Great to hear, Kevin. I hope you're enjoying the new focuser!
wimvb 1.91
· 
·  1 like
Pavle Culum:
Thanks so much for the info, i will definitely check them out. Did you require an adapter for the Omegon focuser?

No, the base of both focusers have the same dimensions; 78 mm diameter. But I did need a 1mm shim to lift the focuser ever so slightly. The focuser has such a low profile that the coarse focus knobs are lower than the focuser body. Normally that is no problem, but with a Pegasus Astro Focuscube attached, the focuser needs a specific orientation, and the knobs will just touch the OTA. A 1 mm shim between the base plate and the focuser's body cleared it just enough.
Loopy 0.00
· 
Wim van Berlo:
Pavle Culum:

No, the base of both focusers have the same dimensions; 78 mm diameter. But I did need a 1mm shim to lift the focuser ever so slightly. The focuser has such a low profile that the coarse focus knobs are lower than the focuser body. Normally that is no problem, but with a Pegasus Astro Focuscube attached, the focuser needs a specific orientation, and the knobs will just touch the OTA. A 1 mm shim between the base plate and the focuser's body cleared it just enough.

Thank you for the confirmation!
Loopy 0.00
· 
Wim van Berlo:
Pavle Culum:

I finally got a chance to mount the focuser to the scope. Would you happen to have an electronic focuser motor, and if so - where on the focuser did you mount it? I'm having trouble finding the right mounting holes for it.

Edit: disregard please, i managed to get it mounted via one of the tensioner grub screws. Fits like a glove now.
Edited ...
wimvb 1.91
· 
Pavle Culum:
I finally got a chance to mount the focuser to the scope. Would you happen to have an electronic focuser motor, and if so - where on the focuser did you mount it? I'm having trouble finding the right mounting holes for it.

Edit: disregard please, i managed to get it mounted via one of the tensioner grub screws. Fits like a glove now.

with a focus motor, the focus lock screw isn’t needed. It can be used to fasten the motor bracket.IMG_2034.jpeg

Register or login to create to post a reply.