Skywatcher quattro 10" on Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro. Who's doing that? Sky-Watcher Quattro 250P · Michael W. Dean · ... · 26 · 632 · 4

BipTunia 1.81
· 
·  1 like
I know that with a camera, guide scope, coma corrector, focuser, adapters, etc it's close to the 20 kilo / 44 pound weight capacity limit for visual, and above the 3/4 of the capacity that you're supposed to do for astrophotography. 

Yet I see a bunch of people here doing it, and getting great photos. 

Ever have issues using it for astrophotography? Have any tips? 

I have enough counterweights and the counterweight extender, and can balance it well. 

I've got a poured concrete floor in a roll-off roof observatory. I've been using that mount with lighter scopes for about 18 months with good results. Just got the 10 inch Quattro. Have it set up but still waiting on a few things, plus cloudy skies, haven't had a chance to use it. But I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 8 inch model instead. 

Any input welcome from people running both (or running an similarly big heavy scope on this mount.)

Thank you.
Edited ...
Reg_00 8.52
· 
·  2 likes
You can't just consider the weight of the payload. You also have to consider the size of the payload. Larger scopes create more momentum when they move making them heavier than their dead weight. That being said, with no wind the eq6 will guide pretty good but it wont take much more than a breeze before you start losing subs because your image scale will not be very forgiving. Speaking from experience, I current have a 10" on a CEM70 and will be upgrading it asap. If you have decent wind protection it would work but you would still be exceeding the mounts intended payload capacity.
siovene
· 
·  1 like
A lot of people have this combination, and actually the EQ6-R Pro is the most used mount with that telescope on AstroBin:

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 16.34.44.jpgScreen Shot 2024-02-21 at 16.35.01.jpg

Hopefully some of them will be able to address your concerns! In any case, the numbers above are probably a good indication that this combo should work.
BipTunia 1.81
· 
Salvatore Iovene:
A lot of people have this combination, and actually the EQ6-R Pro is the most used mount with that telescope on AstroBin:

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 16.34.44.jpgScreen Shot 2024-02-21 at 16.35.01.jpg

Hopefully some of them will be able to address your concerns! In any case, the numbers above are probably a good indication that this combo should work.

Wow! MOST used with. Amazing.

Ok, not as worried now. Though will likely be at the long end of what someone said, "Reflectors are run by duct tape and hope."

I'm up for a challenge.

Thanks!
siovene
· 
·  2 likes
It's only 217 images tho, so I guess  not *that* many users? I would ask around. If you search on AstroBin you should be able to find those images and contact the photographers.
BipTunia 1.81
· 
Salvatore Iovene:
It's only 217 images tho, so I guess  not *that* many users? I would ask around. If you search on AstroBin you should be able to find those images and contact the photographers.

Thank you.

I left comments for a few I really liked asking for tips, but decided that or contacting all 12 or 20 of them might be spam, so stopped and did this forum post.

MWD
astronomical_horizon 0.90
· 
·  3 likes
Michael W. Dean:
I know that with a camera, guide scope, coma corrector, focuser, adapters, etc it's close to the 20 kilo / 44 pound weight capacity limit for visual, and above the 3/4 of the capacity that you're supposed to do for astrophotography. 

Yet I see a bunch of people here doing it, and getting great photos. 

Ever have issues using it for astrophotography? Have any tips? 

I have enough counterweights and the counterweight extender, and can balance it well. 

I've got a poured concrete floor in a roll-off roof observatory. I've been using that mount with lighter scopes for about 18 months with good results. Just got the 10 inch Quattro. Have it set up but still waiting on a few things, plus cloudy skies, haven't had a chance to use it. But I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 8 inch model instead. 

Any input welcome from people running both (or running an similarly big heavy scope on this mount.)

Thank you.

Ive even used the Skywatcher 300 quattro with the eq6r pretty well😂 wind is just a problem. You can check out my images with it if you want
BipTunia 1.81
· 
·  1 like
Marc-Antonio Fischer:
Ive even used the Skywatcher 300 quattro with the eq6r pretty well😂 wind is just a problem. You can check out my images with it if you want

Wow! That's gotta be breaking some law of god and man and physics. lol. Amazing.
And you've got some tiny targets looking good.

Did you hypertune the mount? Anything special you'd recommend? How much wind before you don't bother shooting, any at all? Do you have something to block wind?

Thank you!
Michael
· 
·  1 like
Michael W. Dean:
Marc-Antonio Fischer:

Wow! That's gotta be breaking some law of god and man and physics. lol. Amazing.
And you've got some tiny targets looking good.

Did you hypertune the mount? Anything special you'd recommend? How much wind before you don't bother shooting, any at all? Do you have something to block wind?

Thank you!
Michael

Thanks
I just adjusted the backlash. I got guiding with 0.6-0.8 depending on seeing. 
I got a tiny observatory that blocks a lil bit. I would say about 10-15kmh i notice a lot of movement
BipTunia 1.81
· 
Thanks !
I just adjusted the backlash. I got guiding with 0.6-0.8 depending on seeing.
I got a tiny observatory that blocks a lil bit. I would say about 10-15kmh i notice a lot of movement

Excellent.

One thing someone suggested was replacing the stock thin Vixen plate with wider D plate. Makes sense. I was thinking that Vixen "wasn't up to the task."    So I just now ordered a more robust Celestron universal D plate, was suggested on the phone from Starizona, the place I bought the scope.
· 
·  1 like
=16pxExcellent.
One thing someone suggested was replacing the stock thin Vixen plate with wider D plate. Makes sense. I was thinking that Vixen "wasn't up to the task."    So I just now ordered a more robust Celestron universal D plate, was suggested on the phone from Starizona, the place I bought the scope.

Oh you mean a Losmandyrail instead of this tiny vixen prismrail? Thats a good idea. Next time you can order at Teleskop-Express and ask for "Marc Fischer"
CCDMike 5.02
· 
·  2 likes
I use this combination but with a CF-Tube.
But I know some others here with the steel Tube and eben on a NEQ-6.

Balance is most important and it will work out very well👍

CS
Mike
BlaineGibby 2.39
· 
·  2 likes
I use the Quattro 250 on the EQ6. I bought extra counter weights so that I don't have to use the extension bar. Guiding is fine, I can get as low as 0.4-0.6 range depending on seeing and wind. Wind is the biggest issue, mainly due to the size of the Quattro 250. I haven't made any adjustments to the mount. 

I don't use astrobin much for uploading images but below was taken with the Quattro 250 and EQ6

https://www.astrobin.com/yx0axf/B/
battleriverobservatory 6.06
· 
·  1 like
You should be alright if you have no wind.  Newts are sails. I was using a 10" RC for the last 4 months which totaled to 46lbs on an EQ6 but I was on a pier in a roll off roof.   

Really the biggest thing is gonna be wind. The EQ6 Can handle a lot more than people give it credit for but it wont beat the wind especially on a tripod.
BipTunia 1.81
· 
Marc-Antonio Fischer:

Steel or carbon fiber? (I bet CF 300 weighs as much as a Steel 250 though)
BipTunia 1.81
· 
I use this combination but with a CF-Tube.
But I know some others here with the steel Tube and eben on a NEQ-6.

Balance is most important and it will work out very well👍

CS
Mike

Thank you.

What's the weight of the CF Quattro 250P  10"? 

I can't even find a canonical weight for the steel version.

I see 36.5 lbs some places and 33 pounds others. I'm assuming the heavier one is with the optical guide scope (which I'm certainly not using) but can't be sure. I'll probably just weigh mine.
BipTunia 1.81
· 
Matthew Proulx:
You should be alright if you have no wind.  Newts are sails. I was using a 10" RC for the last 4 months which totaled to 46lbs on an EQ6 but I was on a pier in a roll off roof.

Thank you.

Are you using a tripod? I have a RORO but am using the stock EQ6 tripod. Poured concrete floor though.
https://www.astrobin.com/5vxztw/
· 
Michael W. Dean:
Marc-Antonio Fischer:

Steel or carbon fiber? (I bet CF 300 weighs as much as a Steel 250 though)

I use the normal skywatcher 300 quattro, so no carbon.
BipTunia 1.81
· 
·  1 like

Wow!

Your photos are so good.

What collimation laser or system are you using?
· 
·  1 like
Michael W. Dean:
Matthew Proulx:

Thank you.

Are you using a tripod? I have a RORO but am using the stock EQ6 tripod. Poured concrete floor though.

No, I have a 12" concrete pier. I just switched out to a CQ350 that replaced my EQ8. The eq6 was a temp.
BipTunia 1.81
· 
Matthew Proulx:
Michael W. Dean:
Matthew Proulx:

Thank you.

No, I have a 12" concrete pier. I just switched out to a CQ350 that replaced my EQ8. The eq6 was a temp.

Thank you.

How do you like the CQ350 ?

What do you use to collimate?
· 
Michael W. Dean:
Matthew Proulx:
Michael W. Dean:
Matthew Proulx:

Thank you.

Thank you.

How do you like the CQ350 ?

What do you use to collimate?

CQ350 is on par with the EQ6 for performance. I like it, gets .3-4" guiding same as the EQ6 was. A lot heavier and larger, can stand up to the wind. Works in -20 (unlike the EQ8) I use a cheshire to collimate Newts and then finish on stars. RCs I always collimate on stars. Nothing can beat a star collimation.
Edited ...
BipTunia 1.81
· 
Matthew Proulx:
CQ350 is on par with the EQ6 for performance. I like it, gets .3-4" guiding same as the EQ6 was. A lot heavier and larger, can stand up to the wind. Works in -20 (unlike the EQ8) I use a cheshire to collimate Newts and then finish on stars. RCs I always collimate on stars. Nothing can beat a star collimation.

Thank you.
When I finally get a better mount, it will be a choice between that one and Losmandy G11G. Similar price, similar reputation.

Yours says 70 pounds capacity, Losmandy says 60 pounds, but I wonder if they're more similar than it seems. I think sometimes stated absolute capacities are brought down a bit to manage expectations.

Also, some people on this thread have shown that the stated capacity of the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro is not hard and fast, and can be exceeded by a bit if you don't use it in any wind.

Is your Cheshire just a Cheshire cap, or the longer thing with the 45 degree side opening that looks like a laser collimater without the laser?
Edited ...
· 
·  1 like
Michael W. Dean:

Wow!

Your photos are so good.

Thank you
I am using the ocal pro and for comacorrector the nexus starizona (f3 with it) so 300/900mm
BipTunia 1.81
· 
Marc-Antonio Fischer:
Michael W. Dean:

Wow!

Your photos are so good.

Thank you
I am using the ocal pro and for comacorrector the nexus starizona (f3 with it) so 300/900mm

I got the Coma Corrector for this scope and plan to get the Nexus this summer.

Do you know if the ones for the 250 work on the 300 if I ever update mount and scope?

Register or login to create to post a reply.