200PDS Collimation issues Sky-Watcher Explorer 200PDS · Andy Wray · ... · 16 · 745 · 7

andymw 11.01
· 
Try as I might, I am struggling to both collimate my 200PDS AND get an even illumination field.  Below is a FlatContourPlot from PixInsight that demosntrates the issue.  Looking for additional advice.

So far, this it what I have done:

* I've made sure the spider vanes are equal and that the secondary mirror mount is bang central
* I've moved the secondary (up and down the scope axis) so that its circular image view is bang central under the focusser
* I rotated the secondary around the main tube axis so that it looks as circular as possible.
* I made sure that all three primary mirror clips show equally.
* I used a laser collimator to get the secondary aligned to the primary (I have collimated the laser).
* I used the laser collimator to align the primary.
* I double-checked the alignment using a cheshire.

Despite all this, the illumination of my sensor is way off.  Any thoughts?

FWIW:  The drop off in the worst two corners is about 20%.
FlatContour.png
Edited ...
wittinobi 0.90
· 
·  1 like
as said so often now, you have to look at your pinched main-mirror.
HRasmussen 0.90
· 
Hallo Andy,
I am now using an Ocal Electronic Collimator . Before i used a laser and  a Chesire. I found it not to be accurate enough.
CS Haakon
kuechlew 7.75
· 
·  1 like
I have not the slightest experience with Newtonians but didn't you report that your mirror cell is stuck so firmly in the scope that you can't access it? If this is the case there may just be some strong force acting on the mirror leading to a slight deformation which could result in such an asymmetric contour plot. Just an idea ...

Clear skies
Wolfgang
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
I have not the slightest experience with Newtonians but didn't you report that your mirror cell is stuck so firmly in the scope that you can't access it? If this is the case there may just be some strong force acting on the mirror leading to a slight deformation which could result in such an asymmetric contour plot. Just an idea ...

Clear skies
Wolfgang

This is exceedingly unlikely. I think the main contentions brought by other posters is that:

1. You need to fix the pinched mirror issue, possibly related to the cell being stuck into the tube.
2. You need better collimation tools and, possibly, better guidance in using them.
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
Andy I believe in one of your other posts you mentioned you have a mirror cell that was stuck and your unable to remove your primary mirror to check for pinched optics. Several others including myself had mentioned this. You have actually proved this not to just us but, yourself. Personally this should be telling you what your next move should be. At the very least look at that situation closer and more then likely get it corrected. Many here in this post have pretty much stated the same thing.

Let us know if we can help with your mirror and cell removal.

Dale
Edited ...
wittinobi 0.90
· 
clamp the mirror-cell between your feet and "wobble" the tube off...
20220906_171130.jpg

Best Regards
Tobi
andymw 11.01
· 

Clear skies
Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

Thanks for the suggestion, however the way Newtonians work is that the mirror is mounted to a very solid cast metal structure before being inserted into the tube.  

The truth of the matter is that I'm learning just how tough it can be to re-align a secondary mirror to the focus tube once it's been messed with.  I have now worked out that for my flats and camera orientation the following applies:

* The centre sweet spot moves upwards as I move my secondary closer to the primary.
* The left/right vignetting moves based on the rotation of the secondary about the OTA axis. This is a really sensitive adjustment and once I get it right I will not touch it again if I can help it.
* I don't think mirror pinching has any discernable impact on field illumination at this level, so it's all down to my lack of secondary alignment/collimation skills.

Here's my latest attempt which I think is actually quite close to where I want it to be.  I will probably move the mirror in to the primary just a tad and then I think I will have nailed it:
FlatContour6thSep.png
Edited ...
andymw 11.01
· 

Thanks Tobi!  I might try that technique next time I try and remove the mirror, although I think I may need to revert to a large rubber mallet and a big screwdriver.

FWIW:  I think I need to sort out my collimation properly first before assuming the pinched mirror thing as I've realised just how bad my secondary mirror was aligned; that probably also meant that I had one primary mirror clip far too prominent in my field of view.
MichaelRing 3.94
· 
·  1 like
I would in no case use a screwdriver to loosen the primary exceptfor removing the screws…. The primary of my Vixen R200SS was also very hard to remove, I kept the mirror fixed to the floor with my shoes exactly as Tobi showed, then kept doing small circles with my hands close to the secondary mirror. It took a little patience but in the end I managed to loosen the mirror assembly.

Michael
Edited ...
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
Andy Wray:

Thanks Tobi!  I might try that technique next time I try and remove the mirror, although I think I may need to revert to a large rubber mallet and a big screwdriver.

FWIW:  I think I need to sort out my collimation properly first before assuming the pinched mirror thing as I've realised just how bad my secondary mirror was aligned; that probably also meant that I had one primary mirror clip far too prominent in my field of view.

Do not use a screwdriver or mallet to remove the primary if this is what your referring to Andy! As @Michael Ring says only to remove screws!
andymw 11.01
· 
andrea tasselli:

Clear skies
Wolfgang

This is exceedingly unlikely. I think the main contentions brought by other posters is that:

1. You need to fix the pinched mirror issue, possibly related to the cell being stuck into the tube.
2. You need better collimation tools and, possibly, better guidance in using them.

Thanks Andrea!  I have decided to focus on my collimation rather than the pinched mirror theory for the following reasons:

* When I got the scope 4 years ago, it didn't have a pinched mirror, so I'm struggling to think how it has tightened itself up
* I know I messed with the secondary mirror without really knowing what I was doing a couple of years ago
* I need to and want to learn how to do collimation and secondary mirror alignment really well; particularly as I replaced my focusser recently
* I honestly believe that there is no point in fixing a "maybe issue" with pinched optics until I have got my alignment and collimation truly sorted

To get to root cause you need to prove/fix one thing at a time in my book

I hate to ask this, but if you had a moment and could do a FlattContourPlot of one of your Newtonians flats that would be great, just so that I could see what I need to strive for.
Edited ...
andreatax 7.90
· 
Not sure what you're aiming at, absence of symmetry of the flat doesn't automatically mean isn't well collimated, especially if the secondary isn't offset-centred. But here it goes, this from one of my newtonians (not sure here the collimation is 100% spot on, more as a trial test if you like):

Screenshot 2022-09-06 200429.jpg

And to prove the point, this is from one of my refractors:

Screenshot 2022-09-06 200605.jpg
andymw 11.01
· 
andrea tasselli:
Not sure what you're aiming at, absence of symmetry of the flat doesn't automatically mean isn't well collimated, especially if the secondary isn't offset-centred. But here it goes, this from one of my newtonians (not sure here the collimation is 100% spot on, more as a trial test if you like):

Thank you ever so much for doing that Andrea.  I'm just trying to get one thing absolutely nailed before I do the next step.  I'm really happy with my field illumination now as per the below and will now move on to nailing the collimation before stressing about pinched optics.  It was important for me to go through this step as I recently swapped out the focusser and needed to get it aligned.

The below isn't perfect (I probably need to move the secondary about 0.5mm towards the primary), however it is probably good enough, so I will not touch it again before imaging.

FlatContour6thSep.png
Edited ...
andymw 11.01
· 
OK, I now realise the following:

* I had messed with my secondary before I knew what I was doing
* Using a collimation cap and a cheshire (plus the contour plots above) I have my secondary aligned with my focusser.  In hindsight, it is not that difficult.
* Using a well calibrated (although cheap) laser that is held well and central in the focus tube I can get the final collimation of the primary to be very predictable.  Rotating the laser has no impact on the result
* I've ordered Bob's Knobs because using an l-shaped allen key is a pain in the ****.

The proof will be in the final images, but I need clear skies for that.  I will post the results eventually.
jean1 1.20
· 
For me Bob's Knobs is a game changer in collimation, with barlowed Laser.
FlightJens 0.00
· 
20220906_171130.jpg

Best Regards
Tobi

*** nice Tip! Should have known that before. I had the same problem with the stuck cell. But the most horrible part was to get the primary cell back in the tube, it was very difficult. Any tips on that as well? Thanks and clear skies!***

Register or login to create to post a reply.