Have recently bought a CQ350 mount for use with my GSO RC12 and I having an issue with the mount.

I wonder if anyone out there can help with advice and/or experience.

This is the 
1) When the RA drive clutch [not the best design in the world] is locked, there is still some significant (few mm) play in the RA axis.  Much more than in the Dec axis when also locked.
2) When tracking, the mount can jumps (within the period of one 5s guide exposure up to 8-10arcsecs in RA away from the guide stars.   While the A/G can bring it back, this destroys the image.  Left unguided, I can see a series of steps [typically 3 - 4] during a 600 sec exposure.  
3) That is the worst case scenario, most times so far the tracking is better - but always appreciably worse in RA (0.7-1arcsec rms) compared to Dec (0.3-0.5arcsec rms)
4) I have attempted to see in this correlates to anything.  Initially I thought is was worse at large HAs, but last night it perfromed poorly all night of a field crossing the meridian at local midnight.   I have have a weather station, at there could be some indication that these jumps are caused by wind, although the maximum gust detected during the worse nights was around 20kph.  during a 600 sec exposure.  
3) That is the worst case scenario, most times so far the tracking is better - but always appreciably worse in RA (0.7-1arcsec rms) compared to Dec (0.3-0.5arcsec rms)
4) I have attempted to see in this correlates to anything.  Initially I thought is was worse at large HAs, but last night it perfromed poorly all night of a field crossing the meridian at local midnight.   I have have a weather station, at there could be some indication that these jumps are caused by wind, although the maximum gust detected during the worse nights was around 20kph.  [The telescope is in an observatory, although the top of the scope does protrude above the walls when in operation. 
5) A cables are firmly seated and do not interfere with the motion of the scope.  

The supplier has said it is not a mount issue, and that I probably have the wrong parameters in PhD2.  This is surprising to me, as the mount appears to behave in a similar fashion with or without guiding.    

So I thought I would try my AB friends to see if anyone has experienced anything similar?

Does this amount of play in the RA drive seem acceptable?
Is wind loading at < 20kph a serious issue?
Can wind only affect one axis? 

Thanks for you help.  

Brian