Sharpstar 140PH Optical distortion issue Sharpstar AL-140PH · Jeko Jekov · ... · 5 · 103 · 2

jekovj 0.00
· 
Hello Sharpstar Users,

The screenshot represents IC63. Two sessions, one in 2022 the other in 2023. The image train is the same: Sharpstar 140PH, reduced to 670mm with a dedicated reducer, spacers, Asi6200mc. The first picture includes Optolong L-extreme filter, the second one is with Optolong L-ultimate. The second image shows quite a distortion around bigger stars. I believe it is not caused by the filter as for the last 6-7 months i got this problem regardless the camera or filters. So far I tried Asi2600mc, Asi6200mc, Asi294mm, L-rpo filter, 6nm mono filters, L-extreme, L-ultimate and the end result is quite the same. So, obviously it is an optical issue that appeared at certain point of time and I would be very thankful if someone can share any expirience and a way to fix this.
Thanks and cheers to All!

Jeko

Screenshot 2024-03-08 123400.jpg
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
If you mean the image on the right then does it show on any very bright stars or just Gamma Cassiopeiae?
jekovj 0.00
· 
On any star above a certain radius…
M33 for example with the same configuration but with L-pro
If you zoom in the bigger stars are all Saturn like

IMG_0666.jpeg
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
Ok, got it. The one possible explanation is that you have striae in the glass of one of your objective's lenses. Normally the cast glass blank is heat-treated to allow stress in the glass to relax and to avoid striae but sometimes this does not happen (for a possible number of reasons) and these stresses remain and slowly relax in time causing the insurgence of such defects (striae).

Now, to avoid all doubt you should test the sciope with no extra glass between the lens and the camera, except for a IR Cut filter. Bright star (mag. 2-3) at the center of the field (sensor) for your typical exposure time. See if the effect is still there. If it is then the issue is in your scope objective, otherwise it is elsewhere.
Marcolone 0.00
· 
I had a similar problem, even more pronounced, due to the internal misalignment of the lenses due to thermal expansion.  They replaced my telescope, the second one after a few months presented the same problem but unfortunately it could no longer be resolved under warranty.  No more Sharpstar for all life.
jekovj 0.00
· 
Thank you for the info. Bad news after all
I have been using this scope for more than 2 years and it provided a lot of wonderful images. All of a sudden a misalignment appeared and there is no way to fix this except of replacement?…

Register or login to create to post a reply.