Dedicated astrophotography camera paired with the Samyang/Rokinon 135mm lens? Rokinon 135mm f/2.0 ED UMC · Menelaos · ... · 16 · 1010 · 3

Menelaos 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Hello fellow astrophotographers! 
So i was looking into upgrading from a DSLR to a dedicated astrophotography camera, and i was worried about pixel size, oversampling, undersampling etc. I’m looking into a color camera and I plan to pair it with a Samyang/Rokinon 135mm lens. Is the ASI183MC pro any good because of the small pixel size (2.4μm)? Any ideas/suggestions? 
Thank you.
Edited ...
avzaid 0.00
· 
·  8 likes
ZWO ASI2600MC
ScotiaAstro 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Awni Hafedh:
ZWO ASI2600MC

+1 for the 2600MC had some great results with it when paired with the Samyang 135mm F2...the 533MC has worked well for me too! 

It's a great lens and you'll love it, so best of luck!

Cheers from Scotland!
siovene
· 
·  5 likes
If you see the technical card of the lens, as an Ultimate subscriber you can see the top 10 equipment items that this lens is most often used with on AstroBin:

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 18.42.34.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 18.42.49.jpg

This should help a bit in your research!
jorger 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
At this focal length you are going to be undersampled no matter what camera you choose. So choose based on camera features and desired FOV. I have used with this lens 1600MM, 294MM, 2600MC. All yield good results.
janvalphotography 4.36
· 
·  2 likes
I use the 533MM and it is excellent and way more reasonable than the more desired 2600 that has a larger sensor.
RobertM 0.00
· 
ASI2600MC - works like a dream but if I was you then I’d get the Duo version for a bit less hassle and deeper well depth should you need it.  You will need to ensure the camera is adjusted for tilt to use it wide open.  I have also successfully used it with my Sony A7S full frame camera in previous years.  Also the NBZ filter works well at f/2 and is halo free.
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  3 likes
I'd suggest that the realistic (see this test: https://www.astrobin.com/full/ijq903/0/ ) average PSF is around 10 microns fully open, so any imager at around 4 um (or slightly less, such as 3.76um) would do the lens justice. I'd not go with the ASI 2.4 um imager at all given the poor effective dynamics and overall efficiency.
Menelaos 0.00
· 
andrea tasselli:
I'd suggest that the realistic (see this test: https://www.astrobin.com/full/ijq903/0/ ) average PSF is around 10 microns fully open, so any imager at around 4 um (or slightly less, such as 3.76um) would do the lens justice. I'd not go with the ASI 2.4 um imager at all given the poor effective dynamics and overall efficiency.

Thanks for the advice @andrea tasselli however I am a bit confused. I've seen reviews of the asi183mc pro and it seems to be a good camera at a budget price as well, and for a beginner, such as myself, it seems like a good choice. I'd like to make an informed choice so it would really help me if you can explain why you think the overall efficiency and effective dynamics are poor for this camera. Thank you.
MichaelRing 3.94
· 
As your camera is APS-C size your field of view will not change when you buy a asi2600mc pro or a much cheaper no-name version with the same imx571 sensor. Even pixel size is the same so when you do 1x drizzle and are happy with the rendering of your small stars then there is nothing to worry about with this kind of sensor.

When buying a smaller size sensor you will loose FOV, there you must ask yourself if this is a pill you want to swallow. You can easily check the loss of FOV in Stellarium to gain some insight.

Michael
janvalphotography 4.36
· 
andrea tasselli:

Thanks for the advice @andrea tasselli however I am a bit confused. I've seen reviews of the asi183mc pro and it seems to be a good camera at a budget price as well, and for a beginner, such as myself, it seems like a good choice. I'd like to make an informed choice so it would really help me if you can explain why you think the overall efficiency and effective dynamics are poor for this camera. Thank you.

I'd honestly take a hard look at the 533 vs the 183 if that's the price range you are looking at. Newer tech and much cleaner images, the FOV is basically the same except for the format. I've never really gottten why certain people are against the square format. It has less noise, no amp glow, higher full well depth, larger pixels, 14 bit ADC. On paper it's just better than the 183. 

I was in the same boat when considering which camera to choose and ended up with the 533 rather than say the 183 or 294. It was based on what I was told by the vendor (FLO), advice on CN and reviews from all over the place. I am using mono so the jump in price between a 2600 and a 533 is rather massive when taking filters into the consideration, just not worth it for a bit more FOV imo. I was doubting it before I actually used the camera, but I haven't been regretting it. I'm glad I went the "new tech route" rather than buying a old camera just to gain a little extra MP.

As for the 2600 it has a larger sensor - but you can easily do mosaics with a smaller camera to match it. There isn't much difference between the 533 and the 2600 except for the size of the sensor. Another big advantage of the 533 are file sizes, they are coming in at 17mb which is very handy. A big camera like the 2600 will require more computer power to process as well as significantly more storage space.
frederic.auchere 3.61
· 
Hi Melenaos,

I've enjoyed my Samyang 135 for several years now, with both and EOS 6D (6.5 microns pixels ) and an ASI 178 (2.4 microns pixels). The 6D undersamples but gives a very wide field, while the ASI178 samples correctly (barely at the center of the field) but has a much smaller field (the 183 would be better in that sense). So it really depends on what you want to do, either wide field, or try to use the full resolution of the lens in the central field.

CS,

Frédéric
EdDixonImages 3.34
· 
·  1 like
The ASI2600MC Pro is a great camera with lots of flexibility.  You can successfully use it at its APS-C size or zoom in for tighter images.  Its 26MP image size gives you a lot to work with and the newer tech provides cleaner images and no amp glow.  If you can deal with the higher $, you will never look back and regret the purchase.
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
Thanks for the advice @andrea tasselli however I am a bit confused. I've seen reviews of the asi183mc pro and it seems to be a good camera at a budget price as well, and for a beginner, such as myself, it seems like a good choice. I'd like to make an informed choice so it would really help me if you can explain why you think the overall efficiency and effective dynamics are poor for this camera. Thank you.

It isn't a very good camera (12-bit dynamic, relatively high read noise, high thermal noise for the sensor pixel size, small sensor) but it is indeed cheap. For just a little bit more money (or about the same if you don't buy ASI) you'll get a far much better deal using a IMX533-based camera.
RobertM 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Please be aware, which ever camera you choose, that various colour cameras come with different optical windows.  For instance the ASI2600MC comes with a UV-IR cut window, the ASI533MC and ASI183MC both have an AR (anti reflection) window.  For the latter two cameras you will most likely need to pair them with a UV-IR cut filter - just so you know.

For me, between the 533 and 183, I would probably choose the 533.  The frames will be easier to process as you can probably get away with just bias and flat field calibration frames.  Framing will also be easier as you can just leave the camera sensor aligned NSEW knowing that you’re unlikely to need to rotate to  frame the subject.  I had an ASI183MM and although it was a great camera I always needed matching darks to calibrate the sensor properly.

Correction the ASI2600MC cover glass is infra red only so a UV cut might be needed with some optics as per the 183 and 533.  Note that I’ve never needed a UV cut for any telescope with this camera.
Edited ...
TareqPhoto 2.94
· 
IMX571 sensor camera
BryanHudson 1.20
· 
·  1 like
I sold my ASI183MC pro to purchase ASI533MC Pro. Works great with my Samyang 135mm f/2 and accessories. It is my wide field rig.
IMG_0862.jpeg

Register or login to create to post a reply.