Filter Suggestions for QHY268C w/LX200GPS 10" under Bortle 7-8 QHYCCD QHY268PH C · chefjedidiah · ... · 7 · 422 · 0

chefjedidiah 1.51
· 
G'day All,
Asking for suggestions for the above combo.  I am OAGing and binning x2, and am wondering what the community would recommend for filters, be it in a drawer or on a wheel.
Thanks,
Jed
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
L-Pro for broadband and L-eXtreme or ASKAR ColorMagic Duo (6nm)  for narrowband.
Zaks_Astrophotography 2.41
· 
·  1 like
I agree with Andrea's comments about the mentioned filters.

I can vouch for both filters, they are excellent choices. If you don't like the halos caused by the L-eXtreme, there is also the Antlia ALP-T. It's bandpass is 5nm compared to 7nm on the L-eXtreme and from what I have seen it doesn't produce any halos or if it does, they are nowhere near as bad as the L-eXtreme.

There is also the Optolong L-Ultimate, which is again 2nm tighter at 3nm, although from what I have seen it does produce halos depending on the situation and the target you image.

Another broadband filter that might be worth considering is the Antlia Triband RGB. I don't know if it's a "true" broadband filter, but it is another option.

Hope this helps!

Zak
chefjedidiah 1.51
· 
Thank you both,

An preference on filter wheel or filter drawer?
TareqPhoto 2.94
· 
Thank you both,

I have QHY and ZWO filter wheels, i like the one from ZWO but not from QHY because it is an old version [Version 2], and i have many planetary ZWO cameras so i use a filter wheel also with mono cameras.

I have only one filter drawer, from Antlia, it is an amazing design, the only drawback or cons i think about it is the way of locking the insert inside the filter drawer, it is with screws, so if you never change the filter during imaging then this is perfect, but if you decided in the middle of imaging to change the filter then you have to unscrew, this is not good, even if you have multiple inserts you must screw and unscrew to safely lock it, i prefer if it is a knob or magnet type so i can easily unlock to change rather than using Allen/L keys.
andreatax 7.90
· 
Thank you both,

Filter drawer would be my choice, obviously. Just make sure it has magnets and it is from a reputable manufacturer. Get as many sliders as needed.
WhooptieDo 9.24
· 
Askar makes a pretty decent little filter drawer that I'm currently using for my color camera.  Comes with all the adapters you'd ever need.  If anything, it's just nice to have the extra adapters.  

I'd also give a +1 for the ALP-T filter instead of the L-extreme.    I despised my L-extreme personally, ALP-T data was always much better when it came to the stars.
jml79 3.87
· 
Manual filter wheel, much cheaper than a motorized one, usually holds 5 filters so also cheaper than a filter drawer and holders. It also keeps all of the filters dry and clean.

I am under B-5/6 and use an Astronomik L3 UV/IR for narrowband and an IDAS NBZ for narrowband. I am not sure that either would be ideal under much brighter skies.

Register or login to create to post a reply.