PI GradientCorrection process in 1.8.9.2 Build 1601 Pleiades Astrophoto PixInsight · Jim Raskett · ... · 31 · 2187 · 1

Juno16
· 
·  5 likes
I just downloaded PI 1.8.9.2 build 1601 to try out the GradientCorrection process.

I have been an avid user of Graxpert since it was introduced, but after trying out the GradientCorrection process, I am really excited about using it.

One of the best parts of the tool are the many adjustable parameters. The few that I tried definitely help with getting the best gradient removal from each of the different masterlights that I tried. 

Has any one else tried the new tool?

A few folks at CN have given it a try also with nice results.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/912990-new-pixinsight-gradient-tool/

Got a kick out of the introduction video!
Natural Intelligence.png
Edited ...
smcx 2.41
· 
·  2 likes
I watched the vids. Looks pretty good. As usual with pixinsight though, it looks like it will be lots of trial and error for each image. Contrast seems to take quite a hit unless you play around with settings.
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  3 likes
THAT'S SO COOL!!!!!!

It works much better and It's so much easier than any software I've ever seen before.
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
·  2 likes
Cool new tool. Defaults were hit and miss on the images I tested, so I'll need to dig into the video when I have more time. A few though it corrected perfectly with no adjustments needed. Overall it seems like a winner.
​​​​​
GergoB 1.20
· 
·  2 likes
Hit and miss as well. It's an obvious win for some of my images, but not as efficient as DBE with others. I've noticed that GradientCorrection (GC) can't handle edges that are not trimmed. I'm also running into an issue where nebulosity is over corrected, but when I reduce the settings to correct for the nebulosity, dark structures begin disappearing.
Edited ...
Rustyd100 4.13
· 
·  1 like
I tried it last night with M81 and was quite pleased with the result. I use RC's GradientX normally, so I'll want to compare results. It's certainly as easy to use.
Staring 4.40
· 
·  3 likes
I‘ve had some problems with uncorrectable gradients in a few of my images (light leak, now fixed) - and GC cleaned them up extremely well with standard settings. ABE, DBE and Graxpert all failed, even with much fiddling. Great tool.
RichardRice 3.31
· 
·  4 likes
I have had good results on the images I have tested so far. I would say I trust it more than the AI Graxpert and appreciate the adjustable nature of it. That said I believe it would be greatly improved by adding a visible background model and a live view.
Badland_Skies 1.91
· 
·  4 likes
I tried Gradient Correction (GC) yesterday with terrific results on some older data. I like having one more option in addition to AI Graxpert, DBE and ABE. 

It’s important to remember that GC is meant for use on images with additive gradients (where using subtraction with DBE is appropriate). It appears to be less effective on multiplicative gradients (such as vignetting where division would be used in DBE).
ilparr 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Works great and very, very quick but to be fair, I read that the new GraXpert AI  was trained on seperate channel data and not on combined data but a recent interview with Frank Sackenheim on Visible Dark YouTube channel seems to contradict that in that OSC data should not be split first (I only shoot mono anyway) but yes for NB data especially; so, after cropping each channel , I was applying that before BlurXTerminator (correction only) .  Also GraXpert  can give  weird results with narrowband data unless the sample points are tweaked manually which I also just read bypasses how the AI works.  What ever works on the day I guess. But the new Gradient Correction process is so quick and easy to adjust that the new kid on the block takes the crown. Impressive.
Edited ...
limburg11 3.10
· 
·  3 likes
Tried it as well and like it a lot. For me, Scale and Smoothness were the most important parameters, I left the others at default. Automatic convergence I ticked as well. And with bright and prominent objects in the image (I tested M 81 as well), Structure Protection is necessary. Yet I noticed sometimes a slight glow at the image edges (not all edges, and not in all cases), although the images were trimmed before GC. Need more experience here...

I think for "easy" images with an isolated object and lots of true sky background surrounding it, DBE is done quickly and reliably. But with more complicated cases like nebulosity all over the image or lots of dark clouds, GradientCorrection seems to me to be a better alternative.

Although tweaking and trial-and-error is necessary. I think we're all waiting for MARS! 

And yes, like Richard wrote above, showing the resulting background model would be great, as well as the live view.
Edited ...
Juno16
· 
·  2 likes
Excellent feedback!

I too feel that a background model would be helpful.

I’ve got some learning to do with GC’s controls, but after some initial testing, I really like it and it will be my first stop for background correction.

Another great too for the toolbox!

Jim
AstroHannes68 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Colleagues,

I will also test this feature ... looks like
a fantastic feature... I will come back with some examples...

CS
Johannes
justvolkov 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
I updated yesterday to version 1-8-9-2, but have not used Gradient yet, although I have plans to test it at one of my last sessions under the SH 2-240 panorama, where the gradient is the main problem of all six plates.
nmrdude 1.20
· 
·  4 likes
I too have been using and loving GraXpert AI for quite some time.  Yesterday I gave GC a whirl and was completely thrilled with the results. My environment has typically required separate treatment of gradients on each filter. I picked a terrible example - RGB low directly over the top of Dallas TX and GC in two tries just nailed it for the RGB made for non-corrected RGB masters. GC is really easy to use too. Great job PI team!!
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
I got the notice yesterday about the GC tool and I’m excited to try it. I have been using DBE and GraXpert and kinda was liking GX but this looks and sounds very promising!
I finished up 2 images last night, 1 a planetary where I used all NB data and another M97 $ M108 with just UV/IR Cut filter and plan to give it a test run!

Quick question, has anyone had any problems installing it like some of the other updates in PI?

Dale
nmrdude 1.20
· 
·  2 likes
Just install the new PI 1-8-9-2 build on top of your existing PI installation meaning do not uninstall first..  GradientCorrection will be there in processes!
jerryyyyy 9.03
· 
·  1 like
Yes, looks good.  This video tested side by side and discusses the parameters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T79L9I8vV-k
Juno16
· 
·  3 likes
Dale Penkala:
I got the notice yesterday about the GC tool and I’m excited to try it. I have been using DBE and GraXpert and kinda was liking GX but this looks and sounds very promising!
I finished up 2 images last night, 1 a planetary where I used all NB data and another M97 $ M108 with just UV/IR Cut filter and plan to give it a test run!

Quick question, has anyone had any problems installing it like some of the other updates in PI?

Dale

Hi Dale,
Just as Ron said. I installed 1601 right over the existing copy of PI (build 1597?). 
Checked for updates after installation and all processes were there. 

If you use cuda, make sure that you save the tensorflow.dll from your present (old) installation (in the bin folder) and replace the new tensorflow.dll with the old version. 

Jim
Edited ...
EmanuelC 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Cool new feature. Ive just try it out today, and made a comparison between the Gradient Correction tool and the GraXpert one.
From what i saw, just by using the default settings, Gradient made a better job, as Graxpert eliminated a lot more of the faint data.
Probably, it will depend on the image your working on. i believe that the best is to try both, compare, and then decide who did the best job.
I still didnt try Gradient Correction by adjusting the sliders. I have to try
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
Jim Raskett:
Dale Penkala:

Dale

Hi Dale,
Just as Ron said. I installed 1601 right over the existing copy of PI (build 1597?). 

If you use cuda, make sure that you save the tensorflow.dll from your present (old) installation (in the bin folder) and replace the new tensorflow.dll with the old version. 

Jim

Thanks @Ron Crouch & @Jim Raskett for that info!

Dale
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
Dale Penkala:
Jim Raskett:
Dale Penkala:

Dale

Hi Dale,

Jim

Dale

Ok so I just downloaded and installed on both my machines without any issues however it does not show up on with of my machines in the processes.

???
morrienz 1.51
· 
·  2 likes
Just had a play with it on a challenging image, and to be really practical I agree it does ideally need a preview option. There are too many sliders to change /play with for a process without a live/semi-live preview. I tried it (default settings apart from automatic convergence ticked) on a really difficult/weird circular radial/ring-like gradient I have on one integration done with a sloppy altaz mount without a camera rotator using several hours of very short 10 sec exposures (so that each individual sub had no field rotation problems), and it didn't do anywhere near as well as the latest Graxpert AI version on that tricky gradient. It did do slightly better than ABE, but only slightly. I am using it on a very difficult gradient that might even not be an additive gradient, but I have  no idea about that. (How do I tell if a gradient is or isn't additive? Is there some easy way to tell/know, or an analysis process/script that can tell me that?)

Next I'll try playing with the sliders to see that helps it deal with that gradient, but without a live preview that might be a painful iterative process, when i know Graxpert handles it well enough with its default AI settings.

An edit/update on the above. Just by lowering the scale slider so the process does more work on smaller scale gradients, which this ring gradient with its narrowish rings is, the result is much improved on the defaults without losing much of the real image structures ( my first try at a much lower scale setting  [1.9]  was too low and removed some real structures as well as the gradient, but scale 2.7 worked nicely). I'd say with that one change from the defaults (plus automatic convergence on) it now gives me a better result than Graxpert's AI effort. I'm impressed after that simple single slider change.

Cheers,
Chris
Edited ...
Juno16
· 
Dale Penkala:
Dale Penkala:
Jim Raskett:
Dale Penkala:

Dale

Hi Dale,

Jim

Dale

Ok so I just downloaded and installed on both my machines without any issues however it does not show up on with of my machines in the processes.

???

I am sure that you checked the version (Resources - About Pixinsight) to make sure that the upgrade was successful. Also, you did check for updates? 

Jim
EmanuelC 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Guys, i had the same issue. After upgrading Pixinsight and re-started, it was not showing on Processes.
It worked out when i went to PixInsight website, and downloaded the version released on March the 1st ( if im corrected).
After that, it became visible on Processes

Register or login to create to post a reply.