L-500 and CDK 20 Planewave CDK20 (f/6.8 version) · Rafael Sampaio · ... · 4 · 297 · 0

rafaelss123 1.20
· 
·  3 likes
Does anyone uses the L-500 with CDK 20 and a second telescope? I am planning to use the L-500 with a CDK 20 and Moravian C3 and a secondary Takahashi E-160ed, plus filter wheel and a Zwo Asi6200mm camera. Do you think it can handle the weight and still get the best performance?
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  3 likes
I can't tell you that because I have none of the things you mention (sorry), but, I just want to ask, how did you make such money? Won the lottery? Saved up? Just tell me and I'll be gone from this thread forever...
whwang 11.99
· 
I did not put a second scope on our L500/CDK20.  But I think as long as you can reach balance, L500 should be able to handle the weight if you put the E160ED on the other side of the L mount.  Personally I will not have doubt on L500's weight handling.  I didn't go this route because I am not sure if the second scope and CDK20 can be used simultaneously.  (If not, what's the point?). The L+CDK combination has some substantial flexure.  The pointing model and off-axis guiding together can handle the flexure very well so there is no problem at all for imaging.  However, the second scope on the other side of the L mount will have different degrees of flexure.  The pointing model and off-axis guiding on CDK20 may not apply to the second scope.  If the focal length of the second scope is much shorter and the subs are not very long, you may get a way from this.  But I am not sure if the same can be said for E160ED.
rafaelss123 1.20
· 
Wei-Hao Wang:
I did not put a second scope on our L500/CDK20.  But I think as long as you can reach balance, L500 should be able to handle the weight if you put the E160ED on the other side of the L mount.  Personally I will not have doubt on L500's weight handling.  I didn't go this route because I am not sure if the second scope and CDK20 can be used simultaneously.  (If not, what's the point?). The L+CDK combination has some substantial flexure.  The pointing model and off-axis guiding together can handle the flexure very well so there is no problem at all for imaging.  However, the second scope on the other side of the L mount will have different degrees of flexure.  The pointing model and off-axis guiding on CDK20 may not apply to the second scope.  If the focal length of the second scope is much shorter and the subs are not very long, you may get a way from this.  But I am not sure if the same can be said for E160ED.

Very interesting, did not think about the flexure issue. Well, the idea of having a second scope was to avoid the costs of having another pier (and mount) in Obstech, and still have the almost perfect seeing and lots of clear nights that Obstech offers.

Thanks!
rafaelss123 1.20
· 
·  1 like
I can't tell you that because I have none of the things you mention (sorry), but, I just want to ask, how did you make such money? Won the lottery? Saved up? Just tell me and I'll be gone from this thread forever...

Well, sure this is a expensive setup, but more in the league of a luxury car, not an airplane 😊

And it retains a good amount of it’s value if you ever sells it, so you don’t actually loose all the money invested. 👍🏻

Register or login to create to post a reply.