If I had 1 Lens for My EOS M200 Mirrorless Canon EOS M200 · Stephen Heise · ... · 8 · 321 · 0

sjheise 0.00
· 
I did astrophotography in college many years ago using a Celestron 8 and using the mount for tracking with an old Nikon SLR and an F/1.4 lens, but taking only one 2 minute exposure with Tri X 400 B&W film, no stacking and no processing. Things have changed so much in 40 years, but I got some fun results.

I picked up a new Canon Mirrorless EOS M200 for a great price and want one versatile lens to do medium to more close in Deep Sky pictures of constellations and Messier objects. I already have a Maksutov for planetary and Lunar pictures, but I want a pro lens, medium zoom for those farther out objects.

Looking at the Canon EF F/4 24 to 70 or 24 to 105. 

Any suggestions?

I bought a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Pro for tracking.
Edited ...
HegAstro 11.99
· 
·  1 like
  1. Primes are better than zooms
  2. A narrower zoom range is better than a wider zoom range
  3. Zoom creep during imaging can create major issues with flat calibration (see bullet point 1)
Edited ...
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
Arun H:
  1. Primes are better than zooms
  2. A narrower zoom range is better than a wider zoom range
  3. Zoom creep during imaging can create major issues with flat calibration (see bullet point 1)

4. Those focal lengths aren't to be much worth for anything but very wide field shots. Except the 105mm end but still quite wide, more like a panorama lens.
5. See point 1 in Arun's list but with MUCH ahead of "better".
messierman3000 4.02
· 
Zoom still works but it has to be high quality. Hold yourself from buying the Canon lenses, a lot of 3rd party lenses are even better at optics and light gathering at the sacrifice of autofocus.
Astrosasa28 0.00
· 
·  1 like

Stephen Heise:
I did astrophotography in college many years ago using a Celestron 8 and using the mount for tracking with an old Nikon SLR and an F/1.4 lens, but taking only one 2 minute exposure with Tri X 400 B&W film, no stacking and no processing. Things have changed so much in 40 years, but I got some fun results.

I picked up a new Canon Mirrorless EOS M200 for a great price and want one versatile lens to do medium to more close in Deep Sky pictures of constellations and Messier objects. I already have a Maksutov for planetary and Lunar pictures, but I want a pro lens, medium zoom for those farther out objects.

Looking at the Canon EF F/4 24 to 70 or 24 to 105. 

Any suggestions?

I bought a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Pro for tracking.

Hi Stephen! I'm actually using a canon EOS M200 on a Star Adventurer having some fun! I suggest you to take a Samyang prime lens with no autofocus for the cheaper prize. I'm using the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 IF MC Aspherical for Canon (using an adapter: MEIKE MK-C-AF4 from Canon EF EF-S to EOS M), usually @ f/4. I think it's a great lens. Bought back in 2021 at 180 euros, unfortunately now it cost the double.
sjheise 0.00
· 
After reading several answers and doing some research, I'm going with this lens. 

Seems to have great reviews. Can't wait to put it all together.

Rokinon 135mm F2.0 ED UMC Telephoto Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
sjheise 0.00
· 
Do you have an intervalometer that works on the M200 or can the star adventurer connect to the camera?
andreatax 7.90
· 
Do you have an intervalometer that works on the M200 or can the star adventurer connect to the camera?

Don't need to, just use APT.
Astrosasa28 0.00
· 
Stephen Heise:

Unfortunately this camera doesn't have an internal intervalometer, doesn't support the third part firmware Magic Lantern that includes an useful intervalometer option,  and doesn't have the jack to connect to the StarAdventurer SNAP port. As Andrea suggests, use a software like APT or NINA. It's a pity btw... I bought an external intervalometer on the Android store, name is "Intervalometer for Canon" by booman media, but doesn't work very well, it uses bluetooth.

Register or login to create to post a reply.