First try with Canon 600/4 III and Star Adventurer GTI Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM · Michael Gehrisch · ... · 2 · 297 · 1

catchlight 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Received the SSA GTI last week (Jan 13, 2024) and attempted M31 with the Canon 600/4 III + Sony A7RIII in -10C.  I started with 15 sec subs for one hour and then 30 sec subs at ISO 800. But thin high clouds had rolled in, so even though the stars looked good at 30 secs, the entire image had a light cast from the clouds. So had to make due with 123 of the 15 sec subs I captured initally. Only used the SSA's built in guidance, but that was enough to give about 80% keepers. Unfortunately we live in a Bortle 6 area so lots of light pollution. I'm impressed by how well both lens and the SSA worked at 80% of max load. Obviously not the perfect lens for astro, but works much better than the 300/2.8 and since I already had it, I had to give it a try. I'm sure I will be trying other DSO's with this lens.
Still very new to Pixinsight, so not very happy with the postprocessing, wound up adjusting the tone, and saturation (with liberal artistic license) in Adobe Lightroom where I am more at home.
Date 2024-1-15 20:00CET
Lens: Canon 600/4L III (3050g)
Camera: Sony A7RIII + metabones adapter
Weight Camera + Lens: 4000g / 8.8lbs
123 Light 15secs @ ISO 800 f4
25 Dark frames
25 bias
25 Flat
Post Processing in Pixinsight and Adobe Lightroom

M31_600_1.jpg
Edited ...
Jeroe 3.61
· 
Awesome image! did you try to use the built in Polar alignemnt feature in the sa GTI? I was able to get up to 2 min exposures untracked with good polar alignment. although at 360mm. Must be a dream to do astrophotography in sweden if you live up north when the nights are really long
the green cast is a little bit irritating but other than that, awesome photo!

hope you'll have a lot of fun with the SA GTI, it has served me really well throughout the last year and is still going strong.
catchlight 0.00
· 
Thanks Jens!. This was only using the built-in tracking in the GTI, so will have keep testing to see how long I can go.  Just have to decide on a new target. Unfortunately very few clear nights in southern Sweden during winter, but cross your fingers it might be clear tonight.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.