10 micron 2000 HPS payload 10Micron GM2000 HPS II · AdrianC. · ... · 18 · 698 · 7

cioc_adrian
· 
·  1 like
I've been wondering if a 10 micron 2000 HPS will manage a CFF 8 inch refractor f6.5. The stated payload of 50 kg should be enough, but I was  concerned about the moment arm since it's not a compact scope. On 10 microns website they give as an example a 180 mm refractor. There isn't a significant difference between a 180 mm one and a 200 mm one, hence my dilemma.
The weight of the scope with rings and dovetail is 23kg as per CFF website. The additional accessories can't be more than 10 kg. The length is around 1700 mm
DarkStar 18.84
· 
·  3 likes
Hi Adrian,

this is no problem for a GM2000 at all. Compared to other manufacturers, 10M can handle the payload they state in the specs also photographically. I run my GM2000 with a TEC140 and a CDKL14 side by side - definitely over 50kg, and can go unguided for more than 10 minutes. This makes the 10M not even sweating.

CS
Rüdiger
Edited ...
cioc_adrian
· 
·  1 like
Ruediger:
Hi Adrian,

this is no problem for a GM2000 at all. Compared to other manufacturers, 10M can handle the payload they state in the specs also photographically. I run my GM2000 with a TEC140 and a CDKL14 side by side - definitely over 50kg, and can go unguided for more than 10 minutes. This makes the 10M not even sweating.

CS
Rüdiger

* The payload should not be a problem, but the length of the scope might be too much. Nevertheless, jumping to the 3000 HPS seems overkill.
DarkStar 18.84
· 
Ruediger:
Hi Adrian,

CS
Rüdiger

* The payload should not be a problem, but the length of the scope might be too much. Nevertheless, jumping to the 3000 HPS seems overkill.

This should not be an issue neither. Just reduce the slewing speed. By default the 10M as a soft ramp in acceleration.
tim@the-hutchison-family.net 12.30
· 
·  1 like
I have a GM2000 carrying my TEC-200. It is on a pier. Everything works great and I get terrific guiding and tight, round stars. The scope is approximately 1830mm in length.
cioc_adrian
· 
Tim Hutchison:
I have a GM2000 carrying my TEC-200. It is on a pier. Everything works great and I get terrific guiding and tight, round stars. The scope is approximately 1830mm in length.

* Hello Tim H. that is very good news. My CFF 200 is 1650 mm from dew shield to CCD. Thank you for your reply! Does it handle light wind ok?
tim@the-hutchison-family.net 12.30
· 
Tim Hutchison:

* Hello Tim H. that is very good news. My CFF 200 is 1650 mm from dew shield to CCD. Thank you for your reply! Does it handle light wind ok?

Yes...I am in an observatory, but winds have not been an issue.  There are encoders in the mount, so even if the winds push it a bit, the mount will bring itself right back to where it should be.
Aerostar 1.91
· 
·  1 like
My GM2000HPS carrying a WO FLT132, Moonlite Night Crawler, Eagle 3 and Meade 6000 70mm scope, filter wheels and cameras. I have tested 30 minute unguided subs with great results. I have another unused counter weight also. This is a beast of a mount. Like the other Tim said, with encoders a brief wind gust and the mount just returns to where it was pointed. I read that there are over 12 million ticks per 360 degrees of rotation which gives great accuracy. Tim McCollumGM2000HPS.jpg
cioc_adrian
· 
Tim McCollum:
My GM2000HPS carrying a WO FLT132, Moonlite Night Crawler, Eagle 3 and Meade 6000 70mm scope, filter wheels and cameras. I have tested 30 minute unguided subs with great results. I have another unused counter weight also. This is a beast of a mount. Like the other Tim said, with encoders a brief wind gust and the mount just returns to where it was pointed. I read that there are over 12 million ticks per 360 degrees of rotation which gives great accuracy. Tim McCollumGM2000HPS.jpg

Yes, I've read on CN about 12 million ticks per revolution. I was expecting more, in the range of the 26 bit Renishaw, 67 million ticks/rev, but 10 micron makes their own encoders so 12 mil works ok too it seems with their design. 
For a comparison with your scope, I will attach a 2 year old pic of my scope, to better understand what I'm dealing with ... it's a little bigger than a 132 mm one.

IMG-20210121-WA0009.jpeg
Aerostar 1.91
· 
Also the 10M has a balance routine for both RA & DEC to get good balance.
skuenlin 0.00
· 
·  1 like
My GM2000HPS is currently carrying a RC400mm of approximately 60kg without any problem at 3300mm of focal length.
You will have no issue with the 200mm I guess.

Regards,

Sébastien
cioc_adrian
· 
I received only positive feedback here and on the other well known forums, so I guess I will order the mount. Thank you all for your input and encouragement. Clear skies!
jego 2.11
· 
Ruediger:
Hi Adrian,

CS
Rüdiger

I was thinking of going tandem with a CDK and a refractor as well. Likely a little smaller - maybe a TSA120 and an iDK 12.5". Can you share how you've mounted them and what kind of plate you are using, or recommend to prevent flexure? I read that even the slack from felt in OTA rings can introduce error, and I want to optimize for 1" FWHM seeing, so was a bit concerned about the rigidity of a tandem setup.
DarkStar 18.84
· 
Ruediger:
Hi Adrian,

CS
Rüdiger

I was thinking of going tandem with a CDK and a refractor as well. Likely a little smaller - maybe a TSA120 and an iDK 12.5". Can you share how you've mounted them and what kind of plate you are using, or recommend to prevent flexure? I read that even the slack from felt in OTA rings can introduce error, and I want to optimize for 1" FWHM seeing, so was a bit concerned about the rigidity of a tandem setup.

Hi Jego,

yes, standard felt is a no-go. The TEC is mounted I a extreme rigid dual ring adjustment construction. No felt, no plastics. Only an (almost) incomprehensible slip protection, aluminum and brass.

You have to use the 4" clamp and 4" dovetail. On that I have attached two 3" Baader clamps. Between the two clamps I have the UPB.

Hope this helps
Rüdiger

IMG_8641_klein.jpgDSC_1158_small.jpg
Edited ...
jego 2.11
· 
Ruediger:
Ruediger:
Hi Adrian,

CS
Rüdiger

Hi Jego,

yes, standard felt is a no-go. The TEC is mounted I a extreme rigid dual ring adjustment construction. No felt, no plastics. Only an (almost) incomprehensible slip protection, aluminum and brass.

You have to use the 4" clamp and 4" dovetail. On that I have attached two 3" Baader clamps. Between the two clamps I have the UPB.

Hope this helps
Rüdiger

IMG_8641_klein.jpgDSC_1158_small.jpg

Thanks. Hmm, no felt seems like it would be hard on the OTA cosmetically. Who makes those ultra rigid rings?

I'm a little surprised that felt is too much, yet you have the whole thing on a balcony!
DarkStar 18.84
· 
Ruediger:
Ruediger:
Hi Adrian,

CS
Rüdiger

Hi Jego,

Hope this helps
Rüdiger

Thanks. Hmm, no felt seems like it would be hard on the OTA cosmetically. Who makes those ultra rigid rings?

I'm a little surprised that felt is too much, yet you have the whole thing on a balcony!

Baader make these. But I think, the only sell them, when you buy the scope at Baader, because the rings are all custom tailored to the tube.
Balcony is no problem at all. It neither vibrates, nor it is moving. Felt causes quick change during tracking/slew. The balcony not - at least not so far, until it collapses under the load.
The bigger problem in thermal expansion of the pillar, when sun is shining from one side on it.
jego 2.11
· 
Ruediger:
Ruediger:
Ruediger:
Hi Adrian,

CS
Rüdiger

Hi Jego,

Hope this helps
Rüdiger

Baader make these. But I think, the only sell them, when you buy the scope at Baader, because the rings are all custom tailored to the tube.
Balcony is no problem at all. It neither vibrates, nor it is moving. Felt causes quick change during tracking/slew. The balcony not - at least not so far, until it collapses under the load.
The bigger problem in thermal expansion of the pillar, when sun is shining from one side on it.

Do you have any issues with the model when using 2 scopes? I assume since you'd build the model on one of them (probably the longer FL?), when you image on the other, the model would be correcting for any error in the first scope, and this may not be ideal for the second scope or may make it worse.
DarkStar 18.84
· 
·  1 like
Ruediger:
Ruediger:
Ruediger:
Hi Adrian,

CS
Rüdiger

Hi Jego,

Hope this helps
Rüdiger

Do you have any issues with the model when using 2 scopes? I assume since you'd build the model on one of them (probably the longer FL?), when you image on the other, the model would be correcting for any error in the first scope, and this may not be ideal for the second scope or may make it worse.

I build the model always on the CDK@2563mm. The TEC is co-axial aligned. This works perfectly also for the TEC@980. No need for two different models. I can easily image up 20 Minutes unguided. But this is only possible since both focuses have almost no play.
Edited ...
CCDnOES 5.21
· 
I had the 10 Micron as a possibility to replace my 17 year old Paramount ME but being in Oregon USA, at the end of the day decided that I did not want a non-US made mount. Yes, supposedly Ed at DSP does service but I know for a fact that he cannot do all possible service, just most. The idea of even a small chance of having to ship something that large back to Europe with the consequent wait and cost was a deal breaker.

Bisque was out - their quality has gone down hill and I am not impressed with their "need TSX" model. Planewave L mounts are great  (I have one at a remote site) but take too much space for my small home rolloff, I needed a GE for that. Cheaper Chinese mounts  are neither high enough quality or large enough.

Fortunately, and surprisingly, I was able to find a new AP 1600 that one dealer had signed up for some time ago and is due to ship next month. More money but carries 220 lbs  (82 kg) and has Renishaw encoders. AP service in the US is second to none so I am now waiting for it to ship. I guess no one looked there because there are not too many AP dealers these days - most sales are direct.

FYI, the dealer has one more available as of this writing.

And my old but fully functional ME will be available on Astromart once I get the new mount..... 
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.