Planetary Imaging with 114mm/4.5" f/8 Reflector - Possible? [Solar System] Acquisition techniques · Mark Germani · ... · 3 · 278 · 0

mgermani 5.38
· 
Hi folks!

I know most planetary imagers have serious purpose-built setups, but my daughter has a Celestron Powerseeker 114, and I just upgraded my astrophotography mount and can accommodate the weight of her telescope. It's a spherical mirror, but it has pretty decent views of the planets with a 6-15mm eyepiece and 900mm focal length.

I image with a small refractor and have been doing deep sky imaging for a few years now. I don't think there's any point in me doing deep sky imaging with the 114, but I was wondering if it might be possible to use my ASI120MM guide camera to do planetary imaging with it. I checked the FOV in Stellarium and Jupiter and the Galilean moons would fit nicely even without a barlow.

I guess my main questions are:

- Would this venture be advisable or am I just heading for disappointment/frustration? I'm not looking for incredible results here.
- Should I purchase a barlow, and if so, how much magnification should I consider going up to before I max out the resolving ability of the telescope?
- Should I use my ASI120MM with some filters (and if so, which ones?) or should I consider purchasing an inexpensive colour camera?

Thanks in advance for any guidance here!

CS,
Mark
Edited ...
james.tickner 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Short answer - give it a go! I have a small 4” refractor and whilst it doesn’t produce the incredible images you get from large scopes, it nonetheless gives pretty satisfying pictures. It’s a good opportunity to learn about stacking, lucky imaging, sharpening etc. 

To answer your specific questions:

- A 2x Barlow would be helpful. The usual rule of thumb is to image at a focal ratio about 5x your camera pixel size in microns (3.75 um for the ASI120MM). Currently you’re at about F/7.8 and want to be targeting 5 x 3.75 = F/18.75. A 2x Barlow will get you to F/15.6 which is close enough. 
- To produce colour images with your camera you’d need a set of RGB filters (31 mm diameter would be fine) and a filter wheel. You then collect 1-2 min videos using each filter in turn, stack and sharpen and combine to make a colour image. There’s a bit of a learning curve here and you’d also need to use Winjupos to manage the derogation and combination. You’d probably be up for a similar cost to buying a cheap colour camera and the learning curve would be less - might be the easier way to go. 

The Cloudy Nights site has a couple of long-running threads on ‘small bore’ planetary imaging using scopes of 6” or less that will give you a good idea of what you might expect to achieve. The Jupiter thread is https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/398608-small-bore-challenge-jupiter-w-6-or-less
mgermani 5.38
· 
·  1 like
Brilliant - thanks @James! Given the focuser is plastic and pretty weak, I'd probably skip the filter wheel and screw the filters in one by one, but maybe an OSC is a better approach after I factor in the cost and effort of LRGB.

I'll check out that thread!

CS,
Mark
wouterdhoye 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hi, 

It for sure is possible. within the limitations of the aperture though.. I have a 6 inch which in the end is not that much bigger. The asi 120 is a great camera for lunar/planetary imaging. I'm asolutely positive that especially for lunar you could do some very nice things.

give it a go. You have all the gear.

Register or login to create to post a reply.