2600MC Pro - Green tint in raw files ZWO ASI2600MC Pro · Matt Crognale · ... · 35 · 1375 · 12

LorenzoSiciliano 5.26
· 
·  1 like
Matt, I'm so sorry to say to you that I had the exactly same problem with my previous 2600mc...
In the end, and long story short, my camera went broken...
Hopefully it was under warranty, so I arranged a switch to a 294mm, that is the camera I use now.
Never know what went wrong with that camera, but it was definitely gone...
I'm sorry, but I think that there's no chance...
Ciao
Lorenzo
mcrognale 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Jason Coon:
Good idea, it would suck to RMA a good camera!  I'm guessing that with offset at 50 and only 60s exposures you are likely clipping all the blue and red, given that they each only account for 25% of the data.

I tried several different offset values last night with no change to the outcome. Everything missing data from the red and blue channels. I'm going to assume the camera is truly busted and start the replacement process. I have a 294MC that I can fall back on if the clouds ever clear. Thank you for the guidance!
mcrognale 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
You don't even have to use the night sky to test. Your problem is that you are getting no values for R and B, so you should just be able to test this by pointing your telescope at literally anything.
image.png

You are looking for variations in the R and B pixels. If there are some then you know that the camera is doing something.

I took your suggestion and pointed it at various objects using different offset / gain values based on another recommendation. I'd say 99% of the R/B pixels had a 0 value, only a handful of them came back with a value of 1 or 2. It's definitely a hardware problem and I'm hitting the return / exchange option with the retailer. Thank you for the guidance!
mcrognale 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Lorenzo Siciliano:
Matt, I'm so sorry to say to you that I had the exactly same problem with my previous 2600mc...
Hopefully it was under warranty, so I arranged a switch to a 294mm, that is the camera I use now.
Ciao
Lorenzo

It's under warranty and I'm going to exchange for another 2600MC. I appreciate your feedback. It makes me feel less crazy.

The irony here is that I was upgrading away from the 294MC to get away from the odd color pattern it presents. I got tired of trying to edit around it.
JethroXP 2.39
· 
It sucks you have to go through the RMA hassle but at least you know definitively that it’s a hardware issue and not user error, which as you mentioned can make you feel like you are crazy.  I’m guessing the dealer can just replace it, not need to deal with ZWO directly?
PapaBrummbar 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hallo Matt,

I use the same camara and I didn't had such a image!
screen.png
Your histogram does not show red and blue lines?

One time I had a green pic at flats, the error was a to long exptime, captured automatic with NINA (something went wrong)

screen 2.png

Do a test during the day, make a pic and if something not ok send the camera back.

This was my first Pic with the ASI2600MC with 8"-F4-Newton

screen 3.png

I hope it is usefull for you, good luck

br and cs
Hampo
rveregin 6.76
· 
·  1 like
I have the same camera, but have never seen anything like this. Looking at the overall histogram for your sample image the green channel looks reasonable. The blue channel is showing only a spike, at the far left, where the green spike is. This spike position is determined by your offset, the spike is located a distance from the right edge determined by the offset value. This spike is the offset signal, which is applied by the camera to keep values from going negative. There is no signal at all in the red channel, not even the offset signal applied by the offset you set.

So green channel seems reasonable, blue channel is only showing the offset signal, no signal due to detected photons. There is nothing in the red channel, not even the offset.

Changing the offset will not fix this, it is only going to move the offset spike a little left or right, move slightly where your image data starts.

This doesn't look like a debayer issue, it is just that there is no signal from photons in either the red or blue pixels. 

The e/adu is fine 0.243 at Gain=100 is what you should be getting, no issue there.

I noticed in the setting you have flip showing as on. Is the image really flipped. This could mess with the debayer, causing it to read from bottom to top, not top to bottom, but again, I don't think this is it, as there is clearly something wrong with the R and B pixel outputs, I can't see the debayer causing or fixing that.

Most likely there is a serious camera issue.

It might be possible that the setting in capture software for color balance is not set to the default, but since you say this is intermittent this seems very unlikely. Possibly a compatibility issue, something is not being understood all the time between camera and software, so it glitches. I would suggest a quick try with  ASIcapture which comes with the camera using the defaults, nothing fancy. You don't need to test on the night sky, you can even take your camera out and point at a white wall to test that you can get signal in all channels. See if with daylight you can get any signal from the blue and red channels. It looks like you are using the ASI fits viewer, which debayers and normalizes the curves. So the histogram should be giving you three curves that match reasonably well after the normalization. If you continue seeing just a green histogram tailing off to the right, with no other colors showing a response, I think you should contact ZWO, or the vendor, to figure out how to get service for your camera.

Note,  for setting the offset I find at gain 100, an offset of 5 or 10 is okay. At higher gain I find 50 is best to prevent clipping. A value of 10 for offset, gives an actual value of 100 in the histogram, and a value of 50 about 500 on the histogram for me.

I use a bias frame to determine offset--you want no clipping at the low end right of the histogram in the bias frame. If it is set high enough to get a good bias, then obviously darks, lights and flats will also be okay. But again, will not help the issue you are seeing.

Hope this helps
Rick
Jster 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I had this exact thing happen to me a few weeks ago. As I'm new to the hobby I thought it was user error but with the help from ZWO they came to the conclusion that it was a hardware issue. Fortunately I was still within a return period for Agena Astro who sent me over a replacement after discussing the issue with them. Hopefully you get a smooth resolution as well.
mcrognale 0.00
· 
Jeff Macaroa:
I had this exact thing happen to me a few weeks ago. As I'm new to the hobby I thought it was user error but with the help from ZWO they came to the conclusion that it was a hardware issue. Fortunately I was still within a return period for Agena Astro who sent me over a replacement after discussing the issue with them. Hopefully you get a smooth resolution as well.

Huh... I got mine through Agena as well. I wonder if they got a bad batch of them. I've got the RMA process in motion, should get the replacement in the next week or so.
AstroDan500 5.63
· 
Matt Crognale:
Lorenzo Siciliano:
Ciao
Lorenzo

It's under warranty and I'm going to exchange for another 2600MC. I appreciate your feedback. It makes me feel less crazy.

The irony here is that I was upgrading away from the 294MC to get away from the odd color pattern it presents. I got tired of trying to edit around it.

I have both cameras, even a good copy of a 2600mc still requires Flats , dark flats and darks.
The 294 is pretty extreme but calibration fixes all.
The 2600 is not as extreme but it also needs complete calibration to get best results.
rveregin 6.76
· 
·  1 like
Matt Crognale:
Lorenzo Siciliano:
Ciao
Lorenzo

Knock wood, but I love my 2600MC, never an issue in nearly 2 years of use from +30C to -20C, aside from a rare connection problem easily solved by powering it off and on, i.e. the usual stuff. It is very low noise, no amp glow, and no known fundamental problem to work around. Many others also have had good results. I'm sure your replacement camera will serve you well, Matt.
Rick

Register or login to create to post a reply.