Experience with SVBONY 80ED? SVBony SV503 80ED · NeilM · ... · 6 · 323 · 11

NeilM 2.11
· 
·  2 likes
I see that there are several Astrobin members that use the inexpensive SVBONY 80ED.  I purchased one as a "starter telescope" with the expectation that I will upgrade at some point in the future after I learn more about astrophotography.  So far I have been pleasantly surprised by the images.  I am using the SV193 reducer/flattener.  I also purchased the carry handle which makes it easy to carry around (and mount the guide scope on).  I use my own long vixen-style plate, because the one supplied with the scope is too short for balancing when everything is loaded with my DSLR, guide scope, guide camera and and ASIAIR.  

Any comments on this scope from other users and/or any tips or experience to share?
IMG_8630.JPG
m101 7_22_23 crop small.jpeg
Edited ...
jml79 3.87
· 
·  2 likes
I have the SV503/102ed, the big brother of your scope. It is fantastic in narrow band, but like all doublets it suffers some blue fringing. I have done one photo using my colour OSC camera and the Astronomik L3 UV/IR filter helped tame the blue some. I am planning to buy a better set of RGB filters with a tighter blue filter and an L3 for my mono camera as well. I am fully convinced that the SVBony 503 series and the AT ED series are the same scopes. They are very popular and you can find tons of amazing photos done with all of them.

Shot with an A6000 OSC and L3 filter, it needs more integration.

And some NB images using my 294m camera and ZWO filters.

MikeAstronomy 0.00
· 
Thanks for adding me Neil. I have the scope since Saturday and loving it so far. I guess getting a Nexstar 5se for visual then going down the rabbit hole to get it to work for AP led me to this point. Struggle was real. Having this scope now made it all worth it. IMG_9457.jpegIMG_9455.jpeg
Edited ...
MikeAstronomy 0.00
· 
Thanks for sharing Joe. I have an A6000 myself but had issues with Astroberry when I first started glad to see it in action. I have my scope mounted on an AVX which I tuned myself. Living up north an EAF and EAW makes it easier to shoot in the cold winter. When StellarMate and Astroberry failed me I learned to love NINA. ASIair plus is a game changer it’s so much easier to do things now. You’re right Neil the dove tail is too short. Luckily my previous build I already had the longer Svbony dovetail to reuse. That handle bar is a life saver gives you more confidence when handling the scope.
casati
· 
Conc. blue fringing pls. try out G'MIC "Unpurple" in postprocessing. It does work wonders on achromats like the BRESSER Polaris 102/460 as well as on my SV504 80ED & 102ED respectively.
Edited ...
WhooptieDo 9.24
· 
They're okay to get you started in the hobby, but if you can afford, you will outgrow them quick.    Here's a quick 7x1200s stack from the SVBONY 80MM in Ha, 3nm Antlia filters.    Broadband imaging is pretty rough.   Combining L-extreme makes things even worse.SVBONYStack.png
EyezUpAstro 0.00
· 
·  1 like
20230702_195010.jpgHelix_snapshot-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpgM29_ngc688_snapshot-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpgI love my SV503 80ED. Got it last October and it's been my goto over my 5 inch reflector. Most images on my profile were captured with this scope, mounted on an HEQ5i, with a Zwoasi294mc. It's been a great combo so far!
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.