Askar 107PHQ focal reducer experience? Askar 107PHQ · drblevy13 · ... · 9 · 598 · 1

drblevy13 2.62
· 
·  1 like
Hi Folks,

Anyone have any experience with the Askar 107PHQ focal reducer? I love the native flat field of the scope but would ideally like to speed up imaging time without ending up with aberrant stars.

Thanks,
Ben
Edited ...
Loden1111 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Hi Folks,

Anyone have any experience with the Askar 107PHQ focal reducer? I love the native flat field of the scope but would ideally looks to speed up imaging time without ending up with aberrant stars.

Thanks,
Ben

I have been using the 0.71 ASKAR reducer for several months and have seen no problems whatsoever. Perfect stars and zero color shift. 

Jeff McClure
drblevy13 2.62
· 
Thanks for the quick response! A few follow up questions:

Are you using with the 107PHQ or a different scope (130PHQ)?

What's your imaging train?

Did you have trouble getting backfocus set up?
kupcsika 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hi Jeff,

I have a few pictures taken with the reducer. In my experience it works just fine with 55mm backfocus. Check the M33 and M45 images. 

Btw. the same reducer can be used for the 130 and 151 PHQ models too.
kupcsika 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
I'm using the 107 PHQ

I have a 533mm pro + Filter wheel + spacer + OAG for dimensions see the image.

train.png
kupcsika 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Ohh... and I didn't have any problem with backfocus, forgot to answer that see the pics of M33 and M45

I heard that with 130phq the backfocus is a bit further back... around 60mm
drblevy13 2.62
· 
Ok good to know. Appreciate the feedback!
Aastro123 1.20
· 
Im using the reducer with the 130mm and 2600mm... It works well.... stars shapes are definitely sacrificed, but it does work well. Check out my recent images
drblevy13 2.62
· 
I see what you mean: the stars practically look triangular across the field of the Jellyfish nebula (though you did a great job processing).  Almost looks like pinched optics.  And without the reducer your stars look fine?
kupcsika 0.00
· 
I came by this video about the reducer and 130phq: https://youtu.be/PTYl14Oyja0?t=768

Register or login to create to post a reply.